5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

in need of some suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:17 PM
stangfiveoh

Default in need of some suggestions.

Hey guys. I have no idea where to post this, so my bad if its in the wrong spot. But i just picked up a 1995 mustang GT for 2700$ with 110k I'm curious to know what other mods i should do besides what it has. Its got trickflow intake, 70mm edelbrock throttle body, k&n filters msd ignition (don't know much about it. Its all msd ignition, distributor and wires) 42lb injectors, long tube headers with flowmaster mufflers. What I'm wondering is what kind of mods would be good for me next. Its a 5spd too. I was thinking about a short shifter. The throws are too long and 3rd and 5th are easy to miss. but I'm looking for HP Increase. Also my GT has v6 gauges. It doesnt looked swapped. Any ideas why that is?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:16 AM
stangfiveoh

The guy i bought it from didn't do the gears, but he said its either got 3.73 or 4.10 gears. Any suggestions on how to tell? First and second are pretty short.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Spin the driveshaft and count the tire rotations for the gears. Why does it have 42lb injectors? That is wayyyy to much. 24-30's at most. You didnt mention heads, so I'm assuming they are stock. Stock heads suck. So look into upgrading them if you have the money
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM
stangfiveoh

The 42lb injectors came with it. It actually gets decent gas mileage so I'm wondering if they are actually 24lb. And the previous owner was dyslexic or something where can i get a nice set of heads? My check in August will be very healthy, so i can probably afford it
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 PM
stangfiveoh

One more question for anyone that's still looking at this thread, any ideas why my 95 gt would have v6 gauges? It doesnt appear to be swapped and im not sure why someone would even want v6 gauges in a gt. Did any of the gt's come with v6 gauges? Its not a gts. Its got fog lights and leather interior.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangfiveoh
The 42lb injectors came with it.
What color are the tops of the injectors? 42lb is green, 24lb is orange.

Originally Posted by stangfiveoh
where can i get a nice set of heads?
Summit, jegs, etc etc. Although I would recommend getting heads from a well known shop, such as TEA, Fox Lake, FordStrokers. You can get heads from these guys that will include port work, milling, upgraded valve springs, etc. They're a little bit more than what you would pay at Summit. I would do this if I had to do it again instead of building my own heads

Last edited by Duncan_GT; 07-23-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

24's should be blue not orange, 19's are orange^^^^
Old 07-23-2013, 03:05 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Op you have any pics of that car.
One of the first indications of if this was originally a v6 base is the fender badge.
If it has the mustang emblem with a horse it was a base v6. The gts came with the letters gt as a fender badge while the cobras had the obvious snake badge.

Of course fender badges can be swapped very easily .
also if the rear bumper looks original the base v6 will just say mustang while the gt will say mustang gt
Check your door tag and look for the ax code. the base v6 came with a 7.5" rear diff while the gt came with an 8.8 .
Ultimatly you can look up the vin number and it will tell you what model the car was originally.
I cant think of any reason any one would want to put a v6 gauge cluster in a gt
but I have seen odder things ..
By the way 2700 bucks is a pretty good price either way you look at it with the gearing already done and the trickflow intake and other mods.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
24's should be blue not orange, 19's are orange^^^^
Yes lol. I was thinking about my car for some reason

Fwiw- i was thinking the same thing, except the title should tell
Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Here's the best shifter:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...t5-t45-79.html

Quick Reply: in need of some suggestions.