5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Best Way To Spend 2K

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 PM
PlayinWithTraffic

Default Best Way To Spend 2K

What's up guys. I'm new to the forums and the Mustang world. I just picked up a 1991 GT that is pretty much stock which the exception of shorty headers and Flowmaster cat back. I'm trying to decide what the best way to spend my first 2 grand would be. Option 1 is a BBK cai, BBK 65mm throttle body, Trickflow upper and lower intakes, an SCT tuner and 3.73 gears (up from 2.73). Option 2 is 170 mm Trickflow Twisted Wedge heads, TF stage 1 cam and 1.6 Roller rocker arms. I want to leave the lower end stock and N/A. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Option 2.

Its 170cc, not mm
Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

I'd modify option 2 slightly to skip the cam, add 1.7 rockers versus the 1.6, and use the cam savings to buy a TB and MA sensor. Your fuel pump is going to be on the edge. Once you add an intake, you'll also need 24# injectors. IMO, the cai intake is not going to help much (the factory system is a cai), and the tuner even less so (OBD I cars don't require a tune in most cases).
Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

In any case get the gears and some shocks/struts.......
Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 AM
PlayinWithTraffic

Originally Posted by reldla1996
I'd modify option 2 slightly to skip the cam, add 1.7 rockers versus the 1.6, and use the cam savings to buy a TB and MA sensor. Your fuel pump is going to be on the edge. Once you add an intake, you'll also need 24# injectors. IMO, the cai intake is not going to help much (the factory system is a cai), and the tuner even less so (OBD I cars don't require a tune in most cases).
Why skip on the cam? If I don't do the cam do I still need the 6.7" pushrods? I will be getting a TFS Street Burner manifold shortly after, so what size TB and MAF should I run. I'm new to this and I'm trying to get everything figured out before I start buying parts now that I will end up replacing in the future because they don't "mesh" well with other parts.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:13 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I'm going with option 3- hookers & beer.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
I'm going with option 3- hookers & beer.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PlayinWithTraffic
Why skip on the cam? If I don't do the cam do I still need the 6.7" pushrods? I will be getting a TFS Street Burner manifold shortly after, so what size TB and MAF should I run. I'm new to this and I'm trying to get everything figured out before I start buying parts now that I will end up replacing in the future because they don't "mesh" well with other parts.
With machining tolerances, you need to measure for pushrod length, every engine is different. I have the R manifold, what size is the opening on the Streetburner? You dont want your throttle body to be bigger than that opening. I wouldnt go any bigger than 70mm pending you stay with 302 inches, 72mm on the maf. The only real difference you'll see IMO will be throttle response
Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 AM
PlayinWithTraffic

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
With machining tolerances, you need to measure for pushrod length, every engine is different. I have the R manifold, what size is the opening on the Streetburner? You dont want your throttle body to be bigger than that opening. I wouldnt go any bigger than 70mm pending you stay with 302 inches, 72mm on the maf. The only real difference you'll see IMO will be throttle response
The opening on the Streetburner is 75mm, but I was planning on 65-70mm for the throttle body. I do plan on staying at 302 and if a supercharger is in the future it is WAY into the future. I thought i had to get a MAF that was calibrated to the injectors, shouldn't I wait until I do the fuel system before getting a MAF?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Yeah you'll need to have it calibrated. Your tuner will be able to do that. I dont know the power limits of the stock fuel pump, so I dont know when is a good time to upgrade. Most guys just go w a 255 walbro and a fuel pressure regulator

Quick Reply: Best Way To Spend 2K