5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what all makes a "cobra" 95-95

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:44 AM
bigwitty

Default what all makes a "cobra" 95-95

i have a gt and i am in no way wanting to try to pass it off as a cobra but i was wondering what all differences are there i am replacing some stuff on my car with cobra stuff cause i like the looks mainly the spoiler and doing some performance upgrades like gt40 top end and changing the brakes over to the cobra system what all else is there i kinda wanna put a snake emblem on it but wouldn't want to offend anyone cause seems like people get real pissy when people try to clone cobras "personally i don't understand why"
Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I took this from a FAQ sheet on another site , and Im not 100% sure that it covers every thing but its pretty darn close.

Cast iron GT40 heads
Cast aluminum Cobra intake manifold
Crane 1.7 rocker arms
24lb fuel injectors
Cobra specific ECU (computer)
"Cobra" stamped valve covers with build sticker and signature
Engine oil cooler
Front mounted power steering fluid cooler
Lightened flywheel
Phosphate coated transmission gears
Overdriven waterpump pulley
Cobra specific camshaft
Cam specs: Duration: 227°/Intake & 270°/Exhaust
Lift: .485/.485 Intake/Exhaust
Lobe separation: 118.5°

Suspension/Brakes

13" Front brakes
11.65" rear brakes
"Cobra" embossed front calipers
Cobra specific brake booster
Cobra specific rear sway bar
Cobra specific shocks/struts/springs
K-member that is slightly stiffer than the GT's
No strut tower brace

Interior
Steering wheel center / Airbag cover embossed with "Cobra"
White faced gauges
160mph speedometer
"Cobra" embroidered floor mats

Exterior
Cobra specific 17" wheels
Cobra specific rear spoiler with integrated 3rd brake light
Cobra specific front bumper cover
SVT emblem on decklid (95-up, not on 94)
Cobra emblems on front fenders (no 5.0L emblems)
"Crystal" (clear) headlights
Round cobra specific foglights

Other info:
The 94-95 Cobra (and GT) came with a 60mm throttlebody, not the 65mm alot of people believe it to have. The 93 cobras came with a 65mm.
Although the 94-95 Cobra came with 24lb injectors it still uses the same MAF (mass airflow meter) as the GT. The Cobra specific computer compensates for the 24lb injectors.

Many people say the Cobra came with underdriven pulleys but from what i've heard it only has a Cobra specific overdriven waterpump pulley. Even if they are slightly underdriven they are nowhere near the same as real underdrive pulleys.

94-95 Cobra trivia information (posted on the SCOA bulletin board posted by "Dano" from the SVT cobra recognition guide)
1. '94 was the first year of the front facing Cobra snakes!
2. These two years were the only ones to have the "Crab Claw" spoiler, with built-in LED brake light! (The GT's stop lamp was mounted on the rear decklid)
3. Only three colors were offered:
a. Rio Red Tinted Clearcoat
b. Crystal White
c. Black Clearcoat
4. The '94 Indianapolis 500's official pace cars were GT's converted to Cobra specifications.! They were five converts, with a four-speed AOD automatic trans! The actual "Pace Car" was driven by Parnelli Jones. 1,000 of these replicas were built, for sale to the public! If you have a '94 convert, it's an Indy 500 replica, with all the special badges & markings, and it's red!
5. The easiest way to tell a '94 from a '95:
a. The '95 has an SVT badge on the trunk lid.
b. The '95 has a vertical flair attached to the front of the rocker panel extension.
6. ALL '94 Cobra converts were Rio Red Indy Pace Car replicas.
7. ALL '95 converts were black.
8. The '94 convert tops were saddle color, and the '95 convert tops were black. No other color combinations were available!
9. '94 and '95's converts came with saddle interior.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Lol. You want a Fobra
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM
bigwitty

Well I don't want a fuel clone but Ifound a computer out of a 95 cobra and wanna build my motor back just like the cobra motor and suspension is next figured far as upgrades go I want something I know is awesome and cobras are pretty awesome
Old 08-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

It's all good. I know a lot of people that use the exterior mods. Cobra hoods offer more hood clearance for larger intakes, a buddy used the cobra front bumper and built air ducts from the fog lights for cooling his brakes while road racing. I myself have the clear cobra front headlights. They're some tasteful mods in my opinion. Just dont go overboard with it

Last edited by Duncan_GT; 08-08-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:58 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

The list above is mostly correct, however, it does leave a few things off...

1) The Input shaft on the trans is different slightly
2) The rear calipers are the same on the GT to the Cobra, the axle bracket, caliper bracket and anti moan brackets are different as well as the rotors.
3) The brake boosters are the same, but the master cylinders are different. The Cobra has a 15/16" bore on the MC and the GT has a 1-1/16" Bore.... The cobra actually displaces less fluid because the total front braking piston area is larger on the GT, but the Cobra has larger rotors and dual pistons for larger braking area with a larger contact surface circumfrence overall. The cobra MC can be used on the GT but the lines will require adapters (they were reveresed on the cobra from the GT to prevent confusion on the assembly line), However the GT MC will displace more fluid.
4) The Rear decklids are different from the GT to the Cobra to accomodate the above mentioned integrated 3rd brake light on the cobra. The GT has the 3rd brake light in the deck lid where the 94 and 95 cobras do not.
5) The crank pulley was 14% underdriven, as well as the water pump pulley at the same 14% to maintain cooling, and the serpentine belt was a different size than the GT.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:02 AM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
It's all good. I know a lot of people that use the exterior mods. Cobra hoods offer more hood clearance for larger intakes, a buddy used the cobra front bumper and built air ducts from the fog lights for cooling his brakes while road racing. I myself have the clear cobra front headlights. They're some tasteful mods in my opinion. Just dont go overboard with it
I plan to get a cobra front bumper cover and hood just because I like those pieces. But I don't plan to buy any Cobra badges on my car.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BaltRavens
I plan to get a cobra front bumper cover and hood just because I like those pieces. But I don't plan to buy any Cobra badges on my car.

And that's the way to do it. ^^
It is one thing to like the look of the cobra hood bumpers and such but be proud of your gt,
I see far to many base and gt models with cobra badges , and the guys are trying to pass it off as a cobra or a clone.
This has to be one of the worst examples I have come across though.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/3953651464.html

But I have seen a few of the gt's on craigs list with cobra badges and the seller was listing them as cobras.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:22 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Good god that car was ugly, I've seen real
Cobras go for around that price as well!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:12 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Good god that car was ugly,
lol I know has to be one of the ugliest things Ive seen done to one.

Looks like a poor attempt at a batmobile...

Quick Reply: what all makes a "cobra" 95-95