5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1992 mustang convertible leaking water through soft top back window. please help :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:51 AM
malexandra

Default 1992 mustang convertible leaking water through soft top back window. please help :(

Hi there,

I have a 1992 mustang convertible LX and recently we had a huge rainstorm while my car was parked outside. There was a huge pool of water on the floor in the back seat, passenger side only. It was only on the floor not on the seat or anything. I cleaned it all up with a sponge and, as it was still raining, the next day the water on the floor was back. I took it to a shop that specializes in convertible tops and they have just informed me that the water is leaking through the back window because the top is old and is shrinking. He said the only solution is for me to get a new top put in which will be about $750 and $750 in labour. He also said that i would have to get the flooring replaced as well as the upholstry on the seat. (the back seat was not wet at all) He claims there is no way around this and no other fix besides DUCT TAPE. If i go through with it, it will probably cost more than $2000 which is probably more than the car is worth. (1992, 153,000 km) I am so upset and I don't know if he was just trying to take advantage of me because I am a female and don't know much about cars. I heard once that convertibles are designed to leak at the rear under the rear window and and funnel the water near the wheel well where it leaks through a drain? Maybe this drain is clogged? He showed me where they say the water is leaking in through the back window but NOTHING on the interior is wet besides the floor on the back passenger side.

I am so devastated. Sounds kind of stupid but this is the only car i have ever owned (7 years) and i am so attached to it. I can't part with this car but I also am at NO financial means whatsoever to fix it. I feel like my child is dying and I am being told to pull the plug......

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

If you can't afford a new top at this time, I would seal the back window and any other seams with silicone or whatever type of sealer you want to use. If the roof still leaks; this isn't the best idea but, it will help out; drill a hole in the floor where the water pools-up and it will drain it-self and cause less damage(rust-mold). When you fix the roof then you could either repair the hole by using a sealer or bring it into a repair shop and they will fill the hole with weld...easy fix, should cost under $50 bucks. The best way to fix it is with a new roof but, if you can't afford it at this time then you-gotta-do-what-you-gotta-do. Oh, almost forgot, get a 2nd opinion/quote from another repair shop for a new roof. Also, you could also change the roof your self, there are plenty of Mustang videos on youtube showing how to change a convertible roof. It will take a lot of effort but, you will save a ton of money.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:13 AM
malexandra

Thanks for your advice. I am going to get another opinion on monday. I talked on the phone to a guy at another convertible speciality shop and he said it sounds like I am describing a clogged drain, so fingers crossed!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:17 AM
malexandra

also, is it normal for a shop to run a water test and give you back the car without cleaning it up, leaving a puddle in the back?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by malexandra
also, is it normal for a shop to run a water test and give you back the car without cleaning it up, leaving a puddle in the back?
Yea, that's normal, they usually don't get paid for an estimate/diagnose so, they do it quick and simple as possible. If you use the search feature here at Mustang forums, you could probably find a drain schematic for your car and if not, do a goggle search for the drains and look them over yourself, it's not that difficult and if you find debris clogging/blocking the drains you may fix the issue yourself at no cost. It's worth looking over, it could be an easy fix plus, get to know your car better! good luck.