5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Anyone Ever Tried Striaght RTV (no Gasket) On Timing Cover & Water Pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:05 PM
waid302

Default Anyone Ever Tried Striaght RTV (no Gasket) On Timing Cover & Water Pump ?

I have read and it seems that people have had mixed result with timing cover gasket and water pump gasket. Some people put them on dry and some with little bit RTV and then the gasket. I am not too crazy about the Fel-Pro's blue paper gasket. Fel-Pro makes a really nice timing cover gasket with rubber with steel core for chevy 350. It's a shame that Fel-Pro does not make on for small block Ford. It seems that the original Ford black gasket holds up really well and I would use it over the Fel-Pro blue one.

Even my T5 tail housing has just RTV!

Anyone ever tried just straight RTV on the timing cover & water pump?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-2335/overview/

The aluminum oil pan on my wife's 2000 Honda Accord V6 was leaking and the dealer repaired it around 2003 with 30,000 miles with Grey RTV. The car has almost 200,000 miles and its still holding.

If RTV was good enough for oil pan, I would think it might be ok with timing cover & water pump!

Waid

Last edited by waid302; 10-12-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

More than likely they used Ultra-Flange II on the oil pan. Or at least they shouldve according to Honda. Thats what I use on them all the time. That stuff if awesome. Dont know how much it cost because I have extra from work. We put my brother's shifter on his 03 with it and to get it loose we had to get under the car and knock it upward with a long prybar and hammer!

Highly recommend it for any RTV needs.

Also be careful with some RTV. Some will not work with coolant. The Ultra-Flange will.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:33 PM
waid302

Did you use it just for Aluminum to Aluminum ?

Wording how well it would work Aluminum to Cast Iron.

Man this stuff works good! Like I said, 170,000 miles later the car has no leaks! I would trust high grade OEM RTV over Fel-Pro's blue paper gasket. This stuff is about $7 for 4oz.

Waid

Last edited by waid302; 10-12-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Ive use it on everything I do at work. Even when I have non-hondas I use it. I also used it to put together my 8n tractor since I didnt want to fit gaskets. No leaks on it.

One thing I notice about it compare to say permatex rtv is the thickness and overall appearance of it. The permatex looks slick/shiny and and thin where are the Ultra-Flange is thick and looks flat.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 AM
waid302

Boss Hotrod,

Do the Honda stuff require any special dispenser handle or is it under pressure?

You have used it in place of gasket right?

By the way, I am using a Ford Explorer Timing Cover so it little different than the 289 or 302. Besides, it's going to be a while before I fire up my motor (2-3) months so the RTV will have plenty of time to cure!

I was at a GM dealer one time working on another project and one of the tech actually gave me two free RTV tubes! It is the best stuff I have ever used. Better than the Permatex stuff but cost double around $12 per tube. Looks like the Honda stuff is little bit more but you can double what comes in GM tube.

This GM stuff is also not like the Permatex. Its ticker and flat grey as well.

I was watching Discovery Channel's how it's made. They have new series on supercars. I believe it was Maserati. A CNC table put's bead of RTV on the pan which gets bolted to the motor. No Gasket. I think RTV has come a long ways.

No sure what RTV Ford uses.

Waid

Last edited by waid302; 10-13-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:18 PM
GypsyR
1st Gear Member

You probably could get away with it but I definitely wouldn't try it.
Chrysler used a "thicker" black RTV on many of it's transmission pans from the factory. The guys at my local Dodge dealership believe the "official" RTV is all but identical to the "The Right Stuff". I strongly suspect Honda's Ultra stuff to be the same too. All very high quality RTV in any case.
You want to be careful of what you think you saw Maserati using. "Yamabond #4" (by Yamaha) looks like RTV, but isn't. Hylomar looks like RTV but sure isn't. Loctite 518 looks a lot like RTV when squeezed out but isn't. Some euro OEM's use Curil T which we don't see much over here. It's not RTV either. Loctite 574, 17430, there's all kinds of stuff Maserati might have been using. Pretty sure they weren't mating a cast aluminum piece to an iron block though. Were they?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Put a little ultra black on the gasket and be done with it. Don't torque the crap out of the timing cover bolts, the gasket will get distorted and cause leaks.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:55 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

That's where a lot of people mess up with any kind of rtv they tighten down on it to soon, run your bead, put whatever cover/pan/housing your messingn with on and hand tighten the bolts till just a bit squeezes out from the cover, ect, then let it sit like an hour so the outside can cure a bit but still has a soft center then tighten down so you have a thicker layer of rtv between your two surfaces.

I can't imagine there being much of a problem mating cast to aluminum with rtv. It's not a chemical bond or anything.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

The Honda stuff is under pressure and comes with a little conical tip to help lay a smaller bead down. Ive used it in place of all gaskets on my 8n. No leaks thus far. Ive also used it on other various cars in place of gaskets with no problems.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

You can do this on any part that meets the following:

1 - No specific alignment is needed for parts that might have to mate to something else. (Perect for oil pans, valve covers)

2 - Mating surfaces are clean.

btw, we the in OEM realm have been dispensing glue, sealants, and even loctite w/robots for a long time. Often times its dispensed, assembled, and then UV cured.
Mostly on a supplier level for small parts. The OEM final assy factories like to use what they have always used because change doesn't come easy for big companies and funds have to be justified. It's much easier to get a supplier to change so that's where it usually takes place.

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Tried Striaght RTV (no Gasket) On Timing Cover & Water Pump ?