5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what else should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 AM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Default what else should i do?

I sold my beater corolla to my little brother he needed a car bad for work...so i need to get my stang in sorta dd form. Its not an everyday thing but such days i dont feel like driving my lifted powerstroke id need the car. Anyways what i got is an 85 four eye hatch. I replaced stock sealedbeams with halogens and blue bulbs. Real nice and bright. I replaced all weatherstripping and inside door belts because windows would rattle. I have a short throw shifter waiting to go on. Mac shorty headers, h pipe, and dual dumps in box waiting to go on. Car has lowering springs on i got rear upper and lowers in box waiting to go on. My rear hatch i think i need a new striker for the latch. Also i need to adjust the hinges on hatch. It hangs off passenger side instead of crntered. I gotta pull the heads to replace passenger head gasket. Idk if they are the gt40 explorer heads i was told or not. No budget for new heads this time. Should i replace waterpump? Whats tstat best? Should i do an blue holley electric fuel pump? Also i got smog delete in box. Gonna clean and paint valve covers.also gotta replace battery cables.. sometimes it wont start so i gotta wiggle negative wire and pump will turn ovr. Has edelbrock cam, lifters, rpm intake mnifold, 650 cfm carb. Msd cap and rotor and wires and blaster coil. All synhetic liquids in motor trans and rear. What else can i do to make a better dd when needed? It wont go out when theres snow.....

Last edited by oldfordisbetter; 11-11-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

How are your brake/fuel lines? One thing that bothers me is if I look under a car and the lines are all rusted and about to come apart. I just cant sleep nights knowing that at any moment I slam the brakes good and hard the brake lines could rupture.

Really though it all comes down to what you can and cant live with.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:01 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

A red Holley is what you need if you go that route, a blue would have to high of pressure for your setup. You only need 6 - 8 lbs of fuel pressure. A Holley blue is rated at 13 - 15 lbs, I think.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:12 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Ok do i need electric fuel? Also front and rear breaks are brand new only 200 miles on them... i also forgot to mention i gotta replace break booster. Guess the gasket/ diaphragm went it hisses untill i depress break pettle. Also it takes a bit to start it. Could that be related to the booster? Will replace hardlines from booster. Also want to delete ac pump. Also forgot to mention my speedo dont work. I need the clip for speedo gear in trans...
Old 11-12-2013, 07:46 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Nope, you don't need an electric fuel pump. I'd keep things simple and use the stock pump. And I wouldn't think a bad booster would cause a hard start, but it would be a vacuum leak. But still, it should pop right off. Has the carb been rebuilt ever?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 AM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Carb is 2yrs old i havnt rebuilt it....
Old 02-02-2014, 09:04 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Well sry to bring life to an old thread, but been driving truck everyday bc been snowing alot.. gonna get car going again soon. Wont start so gonna replace starter. And all cables. Im going too have carb rebuilt and cleaned. Going to paint valvecovers. Replace break booster. What should my timing be set to? Gonna throw headers n catless mid pipe on after i get it reinspected in march...smog and visual for cats....will i have to deck heads since passenger side gasket leaking? Hopeing to run faster then 13.45 this year....
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Set timing to 10' for starters. You can always go back and play with it once the rest of the car is sorted out.