5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Looking into Foxbody

Old 12-17-2013, 02:21 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

With fox bodies it's not that we have a problem with auto cars, it's that the aod is widely regarded as the most unreliable auto made. Yeah you can build one okay, but by the time you put that money in it it's kinda not cost effective on a stock vehicle.

That being said, check the trans fluid and take it for a test drive, if it shifts smooth and runs good go for it. Regular maintenance goes a long way with the aod, but they do not hold up to hardly and power over stock reliably.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:02 PM
stanggurl007
1st Gear Member

If it's a new transmission, would it still be unreliable? I'm not looking for a huge amount of power. That's what I have a 2012 5.0 for. This will be my daily driver because I can beat up on it and park it where ever without feeling too bad.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

if it's rebuilt it'll last 150000 miles no problem as a cruiser.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanggurl007
New Mexico doesn't have inspections. It's mainly visual- do the lights and signals work. What's difference between an OEM heater core and a retrofit besides fluids? I've seen the late model restoration page about the heater core. It does seem fairly easy, just tedious. I've looked into a few mods, such as a chip, I haven't decided anything yet. I'll probably wait until I've got the heater core fixed.
Since when does NM check the lights? LOL, in abq they have a sniffer test which is the only thing that matters. Car seems like a fair deal. Join up on truestreetcars.com maybe someone on there knows more about the car.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 AM
stanggurl007
1st Gear Member

Cruces is super lax. When I registered my V6, the lady walked around the car, asked me to turn on the blinkers and lights, then gave me my registration papers. I'll check that site out. From what I've heard on here and seen on sale sites, it's a fair price. I'm going to test drive it today. Then we'll see where things go.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:35 PM
stanggurl007
1st Gear Member

So, I test drove the car about an hour ago. It feels ok at low speeds but the last foot of the tailpipe bangs against the side of the bumper. When going onto the highway, it seems to have good power but tries to shake itself apart at 65. 70 is even worse. The side mirrors shake so hard they can't be used. It also feels like it floats just a tad. It could be that I'm used to driving heavier vehicles (Charger and Dodge 1500) but I don't think that this is the case. It is rust free underneath. The brakes still have meat but it seems to take a lot of force to bring the car to a complete stop. There don't seem to be any exhaust fumes when the windows are rolled down and the exhaust drone is tolerable. Bumps are a thing to be avoided. I had to crawl over small bumps. Albeit, this was my first time driving this particular car. What I would like to know, does everything seem normal for a car of this year?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:09 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

The vibration is not normal at all, my 90 drives smooth as glass all the way up to 130 , and that's as fast as Ive ever had it so far.

It could be the universals on the drive shaft are seized up or going bad, it could be tie rod ends , or unbalanced tires , ...etc there are several things that could make it vibrate. None that cant be repaired with a little effort. The tail pipe is probly banging because the strap is broke. I think I would offer him 2,700 and see what he says..

I paid 3700 for my fox with all the mods in my sig.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

All fairly simple fixes like dawson said, foxs never had stellar brakes, and avoiding bumps is common practiced lol. You may have to stick alittle money into it. The owner knows everything that is wrong with the car, you need to find as many as you can then bring them to his attention with what its going to cost to have a shop fix the issues. Then offer that much less and see what his counter offer is.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:56 AM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanggurl007
it seems to have good power but tries to shake itself apart at 65. 70 is even worse. The side mirrors shake so hard they can't be used.....
It also feels like it floats just a tad.....
The brakes still have meat but it seems to take a lot of force to bring the car to a complete stop....
Bumps are a thing to be avoided. I had to crawl over small bumps....
You've pretty much described every American car produced in the 80s!
Well.. maybe they didn't shake that bad but you know what I mean.

I daily drive a FWD econo box that will out accelerate (barely), out MPG, out corner, out brake, and out everything.... my 89GT. But yet.. when driving the stang w/windows down, FM 40s droning, ear plugs in and my shades on, it just wipes away all those minor annoyances. LOL

Funny you mention the brakes. My 89 has 100% new rear brakes and PBR (larger calipars) fronts. Comparied to my DD you'd think it had no brakes at all.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

My fox brakes work great .....oh wait, that's because they are off a late model cobra

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking into Foxbody