5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

are the price of fox bodies going up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:05 PM
krosdin

Default are the price of fox bodies going up?

i didn't really like the fox body look before, but recently I been wanting to buy one and mod it on the side - i hear they are very plentiful and can be had real cheap, but all the ones I see on craigs, autotrader, ebay, etc don't see any below 7k or so, and I'm actually finding a lot of sn95 GTs cheaper than the fox bodies.

have they become a classic piece now or something?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Wrong section.

But yes, in my area the convertibles run pretty cheap, but clean coupes and notches seem to be outrageous
Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I hope the price of foxes are going up lol
Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Krochus

Fox mustangs are absolutely WORTHLESS right now.

I'll catch flack for saying this but there's not a fox mustang out there short of a full on race car worth more than $4000.

Don't confuse what folks who don't realize this are ASKING for fox mustangs with what you can actually sell one for.

I've passed on several clean notch rollers for under $600 recently. A little over a year ago I traded a clean 91 LX 5.0 convertable for a beretta 92 and a tired geo tracker and couldn't seal the deal fast enough.

I watch Craigslist and the mustang Facebook groups and I've seen folks list the same cars for YEARS without selling and in some cases have come down as much as 50% in the process.

My advice is to get away from the enthusiast sites and boards with your search as they're full of poor guys who think they'll see ANY of their invested money returned. But rather shop Craigslist, local classifieds and used low end car lots. Your looking for that tired but unmolested daughters car.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Most of us use Craigslist, people post "is this a good price?" threads all the time
Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Krochus
Fox mustangs are absolutely WORTHLESS right now.

I'll catch flack for saying this but there's not a fox mustang out there short of a full on race car worth more than $4000.

Don't confuse what folks who don't realize this are ASKING for fox mustangs with what you can actually sell one for.

I've passed on several clean notch rollers for under $600 recently. A little over a year ago I traded a clean 91 LX 5.0 convertable for a beretta 92 and a tired geo tracker and couldn't seal the deal fast enough.

I watch Craigslist and the mustang Facebook groups and I've seen folks list the same cars for YEARS without selling and in some cases have come down as much as 50% in the process.

My advice is to get away from the enthusiast sites and boards with your search as they're full of poor guys who think they'll see ANY of their invested money returned. But rather shop Craigslist, local classifieds and used low end car lots. Your looking for that tired but unmolested daughters car.
Your funny dude lol,
I paid 3,700 for mine , and 2 days after it was in my driveway the guy down the street stopped and offered me 5,500 for it. Of course I wasn't ready just yet to sell it, but maybe in a year who knows. It depends on your local, and what the following is . I lucked out when I got mine cause the guy needed money bad. A rust free fox is hard to find now days especially where I live in the rust belt.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Krochus

Originally Posted by dawson1112
It depends on your local, and what the following is ..

I'll admit that may play a huge part, I can only speak for the south where down here its rare to find a rusty fox.

Another factor may be the tough economy. I'm noticing that the market here is awash right now in clean roller half built projects that someone has given up on partially spurring the wild popularity of LSx engine swaps down here.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:10 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Yea Im sure down that way rust free cars are a dime a dozen , but here in ohio they are getting harder to find. I find that the sn95 cars here are cheap to buy up here.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Krochus

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Yea Im sure down that way rust free cars are a dime a dozen , but here in ohio they are getting harder to find. I find that the sn95 cars here are cheap to buy up here.
Sounds like the rust issue has your areas values running a generation ahead of ours.

To answer the OP's question. I don't thing prices are going up just yet. But I do think they're as low as they'll get currently, as this cars get closer to late classic status the price will only go up from there.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

There sure isn't as many good FOX body cars for sale here in Arizona as there used to be.
If I had to find one I'd start cruising the poor side of town and looking. Lots can be found that way, just stay safe......
Also get with car impound company's as they drag them in as abandoned all the time and many of these places will sell them.

Quick Reply: are the price of fox bodies going up?