5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

88 LX Cruiser Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Better figure a grand for wheels/tires unless your gonna keep those stock LX rims.

Thumbs up to your wife for allowing you to have half lol.
Oh yea for sure a grand. I want the Saleen SC wheels, I think that will look sharp. I should be able to get 400 or so for the set I have on now. It makes a good combo for a track car with some good tire out back.

At this point, I dont think I am going to paint it myself. Iv been pricing everything out and for what I need to do it myself I can spend a couple hundred more and have it painted elsewhere. Sooo I am thinking that my tax return money is going to go toward getting the car painted/ gt front bumper and bracket kit I need to hang the skirts and for the cobra wing.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:33 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Got to work on the car some more tonight. Got my front bumper in from LRS monday and finally unwrapped it today. Riveted in teh header panal as much as a could without a second set of hands. Ill have to get the wife to help me out tomorrow so I can put in the last 2 rivets. The fitment thus far on the bumper has been decent, but not perfect. Im having to work pretty hard to get some stuff to line up with the header panel.

Getting ready to rivet

Almost done

I got the foglight bracket in also today. Just needs some bolts from the hardware store to put em on. Curious how I should wire them in though. Not sure if it would be easier to wire them in on a separate switch or buy a GT fog light button and run it to that. This is an original 4 banger car so it doesnt have the wiring for them.

Also got to work cleaning up my new intake I picked up from a friend . Probably going to give it a fresh coat of paint tomorrow. Not sure if im going to paint it black or satin/aluminum stock look. If I get the time, I might just swap out the intake and carb on sunday. Never done it before, so should be interesting lol. Im going to mount the regulator on the firewall I think unless I get another bracket soon. Other than that should be a smooth install.

Cleaning gunk and old gasket material off

Taping things off for paint

Also snagged a new carb and air cleaner. The carb on the car is in terrible shape. Rather than screw with it im just going to replace it with something new and sell this old 600 Holley

Last edited by H0SS302; 02-22-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:55 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn that red interior is nasty.

For seats would you consider S197 seats? Those feel more comfortable than the SN95 seats and they actually have functional headrests in case of getting rear ended.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...s-foxbody.html
Old 02-22-2014, 09:48 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Damn that red interior is nasty.

For seats would you consider S197 seats? Those feel more comfortable than the SN95 seats and they actually have functional headrests in case of getting rear ended.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...s-foxbody.html
Yea its pretty gross. LOL

Id consider whatever I can get a decent deal on. Im not to picky on seats. That guy is doing a good job with his craftsmanship. Im going to have to follow that thread.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Well, didnt want the car to one up me today... I was going to yank the intake tonight, but I think im just going to wait until I get heads and a cam and do everything all at one time. I painted my new intake and it turned out great. Its gonna look sharp on the car.

How the intake turned out:

Out with the old carb:

Got the new carb put on. Had to jack around with the brackets that were on the holley that held the throttle cable and fuel regulator, but I got em to work. The fuel pressure reg mount needs to be tweaked before ill ever drive it, but I see the light. I might just fab up a different mount though.

In with the new:

I was impressed that the Edelbrock fired right up first try. I had to shut it off though like right away because it was 145 AM and didnt want to **** anyone off. I need to adjust the idle and choke on it. Hopefully I hooked the power wire up on the choke to the correct wire. I read that the red wire on the radio harness was the 12v keyed source...so I tapped into that.

Hopefully ill be able to scoot around in this thing tomorrow. The fuel system needs to be cleaned up and the mount needs to be addressed... but itll do for now.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

BAHHHH....frustration with the edelbrock. Damn thing was idling WAYYYY to high. Looked it up and apparently with is a common issue with these new out of the box. I checked for vacuum leaks, adjusted curb and high idle screws all the way out and still was starting up at 2500 or more RPM. Returning this and getting a holley... lol
Old 03-02-2014, 07:45 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Put the bumper on tonight. Im an idiot and thought it would just line up... silly me. Had to really muscle it into place to get everything to fit. There is still a pretty big gap on the passenger side, but it wont tighten anymore. I think I broke the factory header panel (might have pulled the bolt through the old plastic)...oh well. I can live with the tiny gap for a while.

Need to get the rest of the gt kit on and im done. Just need to put on the brackets and hang the parts. Should be picking up a GT wing in a deal here pretty soon. My new Holley carb should be here tomorrow. Probably get that on when I get home from work on Tuesday.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Looking good Hoss, did you ever figure out why the Edelbrock wouldn't idle down?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Telmaer Hinton

It looks like a fun project! Sorry to hear about the bumper fitment issues!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:57 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Looking good Hoss, did you ever figure out why the Edelbrock wouldn't idle down?
Called Edelbrock and went through there checklist. Apparently, there was something in the secondary that needed to be "bent".... not going to do that to get it to work.

I just got my new Holley 600 in today. I will put it on tomorrow. Excited.

Quick Reply: 88 LX Cruiser Build Thread