5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New Guy and 1990 GT build up

Old 11-07-2014, 03:55 PM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
see if it no longer runs lean at idle and report back...........my FP is good, I have a hood mount FP gauge and twin fuel pumps, 1 intank and one inline AFM big pump
Still running lean at idle, 22ish.. but drops to 13/14/15 when I blip the throttle. So thinking still the cam possibly.

Problem is it that cruising around it seems way lean 18-20ish even when I'm gassin it in 3rd going 40 or so. I even increased the MAF to the ProM 24# specs (1233kg at top)

Also when I'm giving it some decent throttle at cruising speeds with a decent load it starts to sputter out like it's missing. Did find #1 sparkplug boot laid down on the header and melted so could have caused the misfire/sputter.

Using decipha A9L2 calibration with my data entered.

Last edited by JBeachstang11; 11-07-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by JBeachstang11
Still running lean at idle, 22ish.. but drops to 13/14/15 when I blip the throttle. So thinking still the cam possibly.

Problem is it that cruising around it seems way lean 18-20ish even when I'm gassin it in 3rd going 40 or so. I even increased the MAF to the ProM 24# specs (1233kg at top)

Also when I'm giving it some decent throttle at cruising speeds with a decent load it starts to sputter out like it's missing. Did find #1 sparkplug boot laid down on the header and melted so could have caused the misfire/sputter.

Using decipha A9L2 calibration with my data entered.
seems like what mine is doing and I'm running an a9l cal as well.....gonna try and check mine out when I get home tonight....got my break out box from work, or may just back probe if I can get to it easy enough
Old 11-07-2014, 06:35 PM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

seems like what mine is doing and I'm running an a9l cal as well.....gonna try and check mine out when I get home tonight....got my break out box from work, or may just back probe if I can get to it easy enough
Hope to do my cobra brake/5 lug swap tomorrow then nail down this lean issue.

Be interested to hear your progress also.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:35 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Here's the car with the Borla Pro XS mufflers in and LX style tailpipes. Bit more subdued than the 2 Chamber Flows but still loud..

Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

update........had a chance this weekend to install wiring for future a/f gauge on a friends s/c 88 with tfs 1 cam and when tapping into pin 43 and 29 the sig feed for o/2's at idle his was way lean as well .010-.033 reading and when you blip the throttle then the o2's read .600-.800 vdc where it should. Also, did mine as well tonight, same result 18-21 afr on wideband and tapping in on pin 29 and 43 confirm lean reading at idle......o2's read .010-.022 and blipping the throttle afr goes down to 13-14 and and o2's on the multimeter register .700-.800. So, here's what I may do, move the wideband as a test back to the tailpipe and read the a/f there, doubt it'll change.......we're thinking it could be camshaft overlap causing the lean reading.....car runs fine and drives well, just a meter ghost we're chasing..lol I'm not to concerned as it won't cause a prob, more so the WOT a/f is the thing to pay attention to more so since it's boosted. I'm gonna talk to a very knowlegable tuner this week and probe his thoughts on our findings.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 PM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

update........had a chance this weekend to install wiring for future a/f gauge on a friends s/c 88 with tfs 1 cam and when tapping into pin 43 and 29 the sig feed for o/2's at idle his was way lean as well .010-.033 reading and when you blip the throttle then the o2's read .600-.800 vdc where it should. Also, did mine as well tonight, same result 18-21 afr on wideband and tapping in on pin 29 and 43 confirm lean reading at idle......o2's read .010-.022 and blipping the throttle afr goes down to 13-14 and and o2's on the multimeter register .700-.800. So, here's what I may do, move the wideband as a test back to the tailpipe and read the a/f there, doubt it'll change.......we're thinking it could be camshaft overlap causing the lean reading.....car runs fine and drives well, just a meter ghost we're chasing..lol I'm not to concerned as it won't cause a prob, more so the WOT a/f is the thing to pay attention to more so since it's boosted. I'm gonna talk to a very knowlegable tuner this week and probe his thoughts on our findings.
Man that's great info. I need to backprobe mine just like that but still deep in my cobra brake swap. Once through that I'll check my 02's at the comp like you did. My innovate WB instructions mentioned something about camshaft overlap at idle and possibly reading lean. I'm still getting used to the voltage readings vs AFR numbers. Definitely more concerned with the WOT and part throttle numbers too.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Man that's great info. I need to backprobe mine just like that but still deep in my cobra brake swap. Once through that I'll check my 02's at the comp like you did. My innovate WB instructions mentioned something about camshaft overlap at idle and possibly reading lean. I'm still getting used to the voltage readings vs AFR numbers. Definitely more concerned with the WOT and part throttle numbers too.
takes a few seconds, pull computer out of the kick panel, use a small paper clip and insert it into the connection where it goes into the connector at the back, pull the black protective cover off that covers the wires at the connector, make sure car is warmed up and any good os will range from around .1 vdec to 1.0 vdc, low voltage = lean, high = rich
Old 11-11-2014, 06:57 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

takes a few seconds, pull computer out of the kick panel, use a small paper clip and insert it into the connection where it goes into the connector at the back, pull the black protective cover off that covers the wires at the connector, make sure car is warmed up and any good os will range from around .1 vdec to 1.0 vdc, low voltage = lean, high = rich
Awesome, thank you. I have all the pin out diagrams as well so locating the wires shouldn't be an issue. Will be interesting to see if there is a difference between the meters and the readouts in the BE dashboard. Not loving that Binary Editor program much at this point.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:22 PM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Mostly done with my Cobra 5 lug swap, just have the hard lines/adj prop valve and MM stainless lines up front. Rears are just 5 lug drums for now..

Also just found out my car has a 1984 Capri T5 13-52-065 in it.. Great, so I'm hunting a WC T5 to rebuild and swap in.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:01 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Mostly done with my Cobra 5 lug swap, just have the hard lines/adj prop valve and MM stainless lines up front. Rears are just 5 lug drums for now..

Also just found out my car has a 1984 Capri T5 13-52-065 in it.. Great, so I'm hunting a WC T5 to rebuild and swap in.
wanna buy a tremec 3550..lol, I'm gonna yank mine in the near future in favor of an A5 BUILD.......astro performance ftw!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Guy and 1990 GT build up