5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

WE NEED MORE POWER CAPTIAN!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:38 PM
sethg182

Default WE NEED MORE POWER CAPTIAN!

hey whats going on guys,

It's been a VERY LONG time since I've posted or asked any questions...so here it goes. I apologize for a starting ANOTHER thread about cam and head/intake solutions for more power. I can never find direct answers when "googling" what I want to hear/read. which head and cam combo are you forced induction guys using? (gt-40 over rated?, alphabet cams ok for superchargers?) My 5.0 already has a vortech supercharger attached to it with full exhaust, JBA shorty headers, high flow cats, h-pipe, flows 3.73 gears. There is also a superchip attached to the ecu. which needs to be dyno tuned. these mods are on the wish list so I should dyno tune when I actually install everything. its a second car also so im in no rush. I think the car runs fine, but I was told dyno tuning is a "must" when getting into forced induction and computer stuff. makes sense. trying to decided where to put my saved up money...exterior and appearance or motor/tuning. or just keep saving. your input is appreciated!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

If your looking for the absolute most from your setup forget gt40 heads and ancient lettered cams. Go with a good set of heads like trick flow and at the very least get a cam designed to work with blowers. Comp cams has a nice off the rack selection.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:40 AM
sethg182

thanks for the advice! whats a safe drive ability hp rating for the 5.0? I dont want to go to over board...not trying to grenade the block. I'd like the sound of cam...that exhaust crackle but I dont want to really get into anything else (trans upgrade, flywheel, spending more money)...I know I have a pro-gold clutch and a t-5 trans... but Im not sure of the HP and torque rating on them. is the money involved worth it? or maybe play it safe, throw a anderson power pipe on the charger and a good tune on stock upper end (heads, Intake, cam)... and call it a done deal.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:56 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

A safe place to be is under 500 wheel horse power if your on the stock block. You didn't say how much boost your running but if it's in the 9psi range you could make upwards of 450 to the wheels with a good set of heads, etc. Is it worth it? Personal dicision. You have to figure out what your goals for your ride are. Do you just want a nice cruiser or a track monster? Everybodys budget is different also.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 AM
sethg182

you know ive only seen my boost gauge at 5-6lbs...and its gonna be a cruiser car for me. it sounds like that I should get the car tuned properly for now. I can add the power pipe to the charger and see how I like it. to my knowledge the super chip has never been tuned for the current car set up.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:59 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

If you just want to cruise and make a tick more power I wouldn't discount an AFFORDABLE set of GT-40s and a cheap alphabet cam. My buddy's '95 Cobra has AFR 165s (I think... been awhile) a B cam, long tubes and a flow master cat back (still running cats), stock cobra intake, megasquirt with something like 35lb injectors, a smaller vortec with unknown pulley (I don't remember... I think like 7lbs of boost?) and makes ~400rwhp on a dynojet. Outside of the blower the only really expensive stuff was the heads.

On stock suspension and all weather tires the car is completely useless until 3rd gear. I believe it would actually be *faster* if he would have left his GT-40s on it (which I bought for $150) and made LESS power since he doesn't want to change his suspension or put good rubber on it to actually be able to use the power.

Sooo.. do you want to go fast, make power, or just bump it up a tick for cruising? All are cool but they are not all the same thing.

Last edited by Maxwelhse; 06-18-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:18 AM
sethg182

Originally Posted by Maxwelhse
If you just want to cruise and make a tick more power I wouldn't discount an AFFORDABLE set of GT-40s and a cheap alphabet cam. My buddy's '95 Cobra has AFR 165s (I think... been awhile) a B cam, long tubes and a flow master cat back (still running cats), stock cobra intake, megasquirt with something like 35lb injectors, a smaller vortec with unknown pulley (I don't remember... I think like 7lbs of boost?) and makes ~400rwhp on a dynojet. Outside of the blower the only really expensive stuff was the heads.

On stock suspension and all weather tires the car is completely useless until 3rd gear. I believe it would actually be *faster* if he would have left his GT-40s on it (which I bought for $150) and made LESS power since he doesn't want to change his suspension or put good rubber on it to actually be able to use the power.

Sooo.. do you want to go fast, make power, or just bump it up a tick for cruising? All are cool but they are not all the same thing.

This is good. I see what your saying. Im leaning towards just ticking up the hp a tad. A tune and maybe my power pipe idea for now. My car doesn't have stock suspension, its lowered with springs and it has a brace underneath the motor and trans, i'm not sure what its called. Its nothing special but its a good start ive been told. My car needs a new convertible top...so im close to doing that for starters.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

b cam and gt40 x heads on a stock 302 shortblock and a s trim made over 650hp at the crank on my old old motor never broke anything.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:40 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

The quality of the machine work and the balancing is what dictates how much HP is 'safe'.......
Old 07-21-2014, 03:23 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

A bit of a necropost, but yeah, I don't disagree with the above advice either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WE NEED MORE POWER CAPTIAN!