5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

General Question

Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 AM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

Default General Question

A friend of mine keeps asking me if I want to turbo the vert, or if I sell it after all of the work I'm going to have to do to it then my next car, and that I should do twin turbos if I do decide to do it now just because I'm curious would a stock block hold up to a twin turbo setup reliably or would it snap the block in half I'm actually considering this or just rebuilding it and removing almost all, if not all, of the emissions things
Old 12-02-2014, 12:56 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

lol, your all over the place with your plans. But that's a good thing, not to start something then switch in the middle of a build.

As for the turbo's, I'm not that knowledgeable on those, but I'd think if you have a sound motor to start with, and keep the boost on the low side, you'll be just fine for many years.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:19 PM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

I just figure for as much time and money as I'm going to have to put into it to make it run better and be better I'll probably be better off keeping it but the twin turbo deal is more of if I can get to 500whp with some minor stuff and get a transmission to handle it I'm going for it and I'm stiffening the car with a full cage and subframe connectors and anything else I can think of
Old 12-02-2014, 06:30 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

A single turbo is plenty for 99% of everybody out there. You normally build a car around how you entend to use it. Big plans equal big money, trust me.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:24 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

ahem...

560whp, 8psi
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Old 12-03-2014, 06:50 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 95gtconvert
A friend of mine keeps asking me if I want to turbo the vert, or if I sell it after all of the work I'm going to have to do to it then my next car, and that I should do twin turbos if I do decide to do it now just because I'm curious would a stock block hold up to a twin turbo setup reliably or would it snap the block in half I'm actually considering this or just rebuilding it and removing almost all, if not all, of the emissions things
stock block will hold a turbo just keep the boost low meaning 8-12 psi and tune spot on and depending on your h/c/i and other supporting mods you can easily be in the 400-500 rwhp range
Old 12-03-2014, 01:32 PM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

My worry is the twin turbo setup because I like to do everything I want right away during a project
Old 12-03-2014, 02:13 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Well unless you have a big chunk of money laying around you wont be able to do everything all at once. At least if you want to do it right. Single turbo kit is going to cost at the very least $2 grand. I looked at an on3 kit for my wife's Camaro SS and with a few options got the price up to over 3 grand before even talking about a tune! Upgrade fuel system, Your drive drain is going to need an upgrade or it wont live long. Now you have power you have to get it to the ground so suspension and tire upgrades are in order. I Make a f&%k ton of money and it still took almost 3 years to get my project where it'll reach the goals I set for it.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:02 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

Thru my years of tinkering with cars, I've found that if your planning a major mod, hci, rebuild, tranny swap, etc. Add up the cost of parts, now double that for supporting mods. It never ends until you say " I except this car for what it is" lol.

Since your sig shows your still in high school, you and I have about the same amount of play money to throw at our cars. Compared to blues millions anyway lol. Here's my suggestion, camp out on Craigslist, or forum classifieds. Be realistic in what you can afford and your expectations of mods. I'd love to have a 10 sec. street car. But I know that is not going to happen till all my kids are self supporting, if that ever happens.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:57 PM
95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

I'm talking if I wanted to turbo it I want to do twin turbo right away cause I'm that kind of person but for the time being I'm going to do gt40 heads intake and some other minor engine things just to get to 300+ HP for now and a few years from now when I'm a certified Ford tech I'll do more and when I get through some other things I'm going to do the turbo deal because realistically I won't get the setup I want until after college

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: General Question