5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

'95 GT Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Frank Soz

Default '95 GT Restoration

In May of 1995, we were rolling down the street in our Dodge Caravan, passing the local Ford dealership, and my mom spots it- a Sapphire Blue '95 GT. Dad went and got it the next day. She loved it till the day she died. 9 or so years ago, it needed some repairs that frankly weren't in the budget. It got parked in the back yard, and hasn't moved an inch since. Mom lost a relatively short battle with lung cancer just a couple weeks ago, and now I'm the owner of this once beautiful car.

This thing needs work. It needs paint, tires, rotors, brakes - the works. When it was parked, it needed a new clutch. It needs significant work to become drivable again. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'm going to take it to a local mustang shop to have any work done.

While I have it in the shop to have the work done to get it drivable again, what should I have installed to boost the performance of an otherwise stock 5.0 V8? I'm trying to be budget conscious. I know the 3.73 rear axle is a must. This won't be a daily driver- I have my '13 V-6 Convertible for that... but, if I could get 300-325hp out of the GT right now I'd be pleased.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:31 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

Your correct on the rear gears as the first step, that alone will make the biggest difference. The car will feel like a completely different animal. If that's not enough, then the simplest route to go for your HP goals would be a HCI kit. That's going to get a little pricey though if your also paying someone to install it. But that should get you pretty close to your goals.

http://treperformance.com/i-90332-tr...FQYJaQodZOUIKQ

Good luck

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 10-28-2016 at 06:34 AM.