5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Best way to get 350-400hp to tires, on a reliable dailly driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:32 PM
IQRaceworks

Question Best way to get 350-400hp to tires, on a reliable dailly driver?

I'm getting ready to pick up a nice used Foxbody to turn into my daily driver. Let's assume right now that it's got a pretty much stock 5.0 motor in it.

If I wanted 350-400hp to the rear tires.....what's the best, most reliable, way to do that for a car that's going to be a daily driver...rain or shine?

At this point I've been looking at a few different options. LS Swap (I'd like to stay away from this if possible), or bolt a supercharger to the stock 5.0.

Suggestions, options? I'd like to keep costs down, and use the 5.0 motor if I can. Sure, an LS swap would be a pretty easy 400hp....but I want to get the car on the road as soon as possible, and I don't really have time for an LS swap.

If I went with a supercharger, what kits should I be looking at....and what kind of boost would I need to run to get the power I'm looking for? Low end torque is more important to me that peak RPM HP.

Ideas/Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:15 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I took a quick glance at e-bay and another site, nothing really jumped out at me used.

Get ready for:
fuel pump
injectors
mass air meter
tuning device/tune
spark plugs
probably 02 sensors (unless not wanting to use them)

Then you probably want a wideband if tuning yourself. And a powerpipe if the kit doesn't come with one.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:48 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Since your new here, I'd use the search feature and dig up older threads that cover this. There's a ton of build threads that will cover the do's and don'ts. And what the end results were.

But keep in mind, 350-400 hp at the wheels will quickly show how weak the rest of the drivetrain is.... tranny, axles if driven hard. Start saving up for upgrades.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:59 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Pick up a wrecked GT350 for $20,000 or so and swap the drivetrain.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:23 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
I'm getting ready to pick up a nice used Foxbody to turn into my daily driver. Let's assume right now that it's got a pretty much stock 5.0 motor in it.

If I wanted 350-400hp to the rear tires.....what's the best, most reliable, way to do that for a car that's going to be a daily driver...rain or shine?

At this point I've been looking at a few different options. LS Swap (I'd like to stay away from this if possible), or bolt a supercharger to the stock 5.0.

Suggestions, options? I'd like to keep costs down, and use the 5.0 motor if I can. Sure, an LS swap would be a pretty easy 400hp....but I want to get the car on the road as soon as possible, and I don't really have time for an LS swap.

If I went with a supercharger, what kits should I be looking at....and what kind of boost would I need to run to get the power I'm looking for? Low end torque is more important to me that peak RPM HP.

Ideas/Suggestions?

Thanks!

This would do the job, if you could find one, and have plenty of dough. 427 SOHC "Cammer"

The guts:

The fix for chain problems. These babies revved to ungodly speeds, and held together. imp
Old 08-17-2017, 07:41 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

347 built right will easily hit 350-400 rwhp
Old 08-17-2017, 09:28 AM
IQRaceworks

But will it be happy in a 100% daily driver street car? Will it have good street manners? Enough manifold vacuum to run power brakes and other accessories? I know I can get the power....but it's got to be something that can also be an honest daily driver...not a weekend toy.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:41 AM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

That depends on what level of comfort you want every day. Have you been in a fox lately? Even a stock fox is pretty rough by today's standards. You have to buy a fairly modern car to get refinement and that kind of power and daily driver reliability. My opinion would have that being a (damn good) weekend toy.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:58 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
But will it be happy in a 100% daily driver street car? Will it have good street manners? Enough manifold vacuum to run power brakes and other accessories? I know I can get the power....but it's got to be something that can also be an honest daily driver...not a weekend toy.
cubic inch has nothing to do with manifold vaccum being okay, that'll depend on the cam selected and the overlap it has.......had a customer with a daily driven 95 gt with over 100k on his 347.......to build it right in accordance with the manners you desire, contact www.flowtechinduction.com for cam/top end needs
Old 09-03-2017, 05:11 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

IQ, You are thinking along my lines. Just put a 1987 Foxbody on the street; 331 Stroker, 350 HP, carbureted 750,T5 with NITTO: 555R shoes. Great fun harassing the locals. But what the other bloggers have said is true. Even to launch a basic street warrior like this takes time, money and basic fabrication skills. I am going to 200 hundred hit of juice as soon as I destroy this crappy T5. Best of wishes in your new venture.
Can get more specific if need be.