5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

95 Mustang 5.0 bell housing STARTED issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:29 PM
rodrigopuebla

Default 95 Mustang 5.0 bell housing STARTED issue

Dear All!

I bough few months ago a 1995 Mustang GT V8 5.0 with manual transsmision. The car got damage from the bell housing (it broke). A yunkyards sold me one from a v6 3.8 lts saying is exactly the same part. Aparently it does since fits perfecty on the body of the transmission and the engine. The issue Im facing is the started doest get the flyweell. When I put the tranmission I noticed the spacer plate was a liitle bit diferent so i have to cut a little piece. Here in Mexico is very difficult to find the 5.0 bell housing. So may question is, Do I have to use exactly the T5 5.0 housing? Or if I used the 3.8 housing, I have to buy also the started? Does it will fit?

Thank you very much for your comments.
Regards
Rodrigo
Old 07-19-2017, 03:54 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3.8+5.0+bellhousing+starter

oh and welcome to the forums. the link should have an answer somewhere. We really don't have that trouble here so, no-one may have an answer for you.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 07-19-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:24 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rodrigopuebla
Dear All!

I bough few months ago a 1995 Mustang GT V8 5.0 with manual transsmision. The car got damage from the bell housing (it broke). A yunkyards sold me one from a v6 3.8 lts saying is exactly the same part. Aparently it does since fits perfecty on the body of the transmission and the engine. The issue Im facing is the started doest get the flyweell. When I put the tranmission I noticed the spacer plate was a liitle bit diferent so i have to cut a little piece. Here in Mexico is very difficult to find the 5.0 bell housing. So may question is, Do I have to use exactly the T5 5.0 housing? Or if I used the 3.8 housing, I have to buy also the started? Does it will fit?

Thank you very much for your comments.
Regards
Rodrigo
I will answer this quickly and honestly..

The 3.8l bell housing is not the same as a 5.0l bell housing,, you need one for an sn95 mustang GT 5.0l
Old 07-20-2017, 08:25 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

The SN 95 Manual Trans. Bell Housing was made deeper by approx. 3/4 inch from those used in Fox Bodies. Otherwise, a '94 or 95 transmission will fit using the shorter, earlier bell, but the transmission input shaft will not be supported by the crankshaft pilot bearing.

That's a bad thing. imp
Old 07-21-2017, 09:23 AM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3.8+5.0+bellhousing+starter

oh and welcome to the forums. the link should have an answer somewhere. We really don't have that trouble here so, no-one may have an answer for you.
Its funny how easily the answers are found on google, yet people still ask.

Originally Posted by dawson1112
I will answer this quickly and honestly..

The 3.8l bell housing is not the same as a 5.0l bell housing,, you need one for an sn95 mustang GT 5.0l
Dimensionally, it is the same. The ONLY difference is the starter position. The V6 bellhousing can be used by swapping to a 164 tooth flywheel. They are about $75 on Summit.

Originally Posted by imp
The SN 95 Manual Trans. Bell Housing was made deeper by approx. 3/4 inch from those used in Fox Bodies. Otherwise, a '94 or 95 transmission will fit using the shorter, earlier bell, but the transmission input shaft will not be supported by the crankshaft pilot bearing.
That's a bad thing. imp
This isnt even close to what the OP asked...
Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 64bit
This isnt even close to what the OP asked...

EXCUUUSE ME? He asked about using a different bell housing. I told him the difference of earlier 5.0 bellhousings.

Sorry you had a problem with that. Just might be useful to others to know that tiny difference not noticeable can cause serious trouble. imp