5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Lowering Question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Mark 95 GT convertible

Default Lowering Question.

I saw a black 95 GT convertible just like mine at a car show last week. The owner wasn't around, so I couldn't ask what he did. To me, the drop looked perfect-I could just fit 2 fingers between the top of the tire and the fender, and it was about the same in the rear. It had 17 inch wheels, like mine, with normal size tires. Could I get that look with just springs? If so, what brand do you guys like? How is the ride afterwords? Thanks!
Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Your not gonna get that low with just springs,, at least you wont get that low with out totally blowing your suspension and steering geometry completely. You'd need camber/caster adjustable plates, a bump steer kit, new shocks struts ( i suspect the guy had coilovers ) probly alot of other little things as well. There is a lot more to lowering than just spring height. The maximum I would lower with just springs is about 2 inches,, and that is pushing it for bump steer and camber/caster.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

My '01 GT has exactly the same "finger gap" you describe. Structurally and as far as suspension goes our cars are more or less the same.

Each Sportline springs, poly iso's, MM c/c plates, Baer bumpsteer kit, poly offset steering rack bushings, MM "HD" lca's. I think that's about it. I'm running 17x9/10.5 wheels.

At a minimum you need the springs, bumpsteer and c/c plates. The offset rack bushings help a little to correct geometry but I honestly can't say they're very crucial, feel free to skip those if you like. I always recommend aftermarket lca's, since it's all gonna be apart anyway and they make such a nice difference in the rear suspension of the car.

Only other springs I'm aware of that advertise a 2" drop like the Sportlines would be H&R SuperSport. Or if you wanna spend the money on coilovers you can adjust the drop to pretty much whatever you want but honestly I think that is overkill and otherwise unnecessary for most of us with street cars.

Keep in mind you will also want new shocks/struts at some point as well. The stock ones will work (I ran mine for like 7 years before upgrading) but they will be a bit overcompressed and ride quality will suffer.