5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Block supporting more than 500hp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 05:29 AM
chanhorton89

Default Block supporting more than 500hp?

I've heard the stock 302 Windsor block will split right down the middle after reaching about 500hp. I kept digging for more info but I can't quite figure this out, so please somebody help. Will the 302 dodge dart SHP motor fit my Windsor heads and intake? Will I need other parts to make the block compatible with what's already under the hood? I've heard similar stories about the boss 302, and the same thing goes. Will it pair with everything else under the hood or will I need some more parts? Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:00 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

it's not a Dodge part homey. The company that builds the shp blocks name is Dart. Yes they will fit.

500 at the crank is doable with a stock block 302. My car has been 460-proably over 500 at the wheels for years now. I don't go to the track and tear things up though.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:16 PM
chanhorton89

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
it's not a Dodge part homey. The company that builds the shp blocks name is Dart. Yes they will fit.

500 at the crank is doable with a stock block 302. My car has been 460-proably over 500 at the wheels for years now. I don't go to the track and tear things up though.
Sweet! Thanks for the info about the company vs. dodge, lol. I'm new to all the info regarding the block and trying to do my research.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

there is no magical number for when the block splits, it's load on the caps/cap walk/chatter that causes the split, more often than not due to rpm, I have 560+ at the rear wheels on a stock block for the past 5 years no issue but I keep rpms under 6500..........if you're gonna build a dart block there is no reason to top it off with 302 parts.....build a 363 with a dart block and put some 11r heads on it and a box r intake to start...ect ect
Old 08-17-2017, 07:47 AM
chanhorton89

Originally Posted by mjr46
there is no magical number for when the block splits, it's load on the caps/cap walk/chatter that causes the split, more often than not due to rpm, I have 560+ at the rear wheels on a stock block for the past 5 years no issue but I keep rpms under 6500..........if you're gonna build a dart block there is no reason to top it off with 302 parts.....build a 363 with a dart block and put some 11r heads on it and a box r intake to start...ect ect
Thanks for the advice! Just to be clear, what you're saying is if i kept my shift points low, I should be okay? I was just about to order a top end kit to produce about 380 rwhp. do you think I'd be fine to take a few trips to mexico on the weekend?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:43 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I am in the same boat. I won't know exactly what my numbers are till Saturday but, I bet they are over the recommended 450hp mark. It is a stock re-ringed engine with 55k on it since the re-ring. No arp hardware either, I re-used the stock rod bolts.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:55 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by chanhorton89
Thanks for the advice! Just to be clear, what you're saying is if i kept my shift points low, I should be okay? I was just about to order a top end kit to produce about 380 rwhp. do you think I'd be fine to take a few trips to mexico on the weekend?
if it is a trick flow kit, those numbers are not rwhp.........on average they net 285ish-310 ish depending on the attention to detail and how well your bottom end seals
Old 09-03-2017, 05:50 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

That issue with the 302 blocks splitting has some basis. It originated around some Canadian, maybe Mexican, blocks that had bad castings. I do not know about any American made blocks that have had that problem. Trim Drip is right in stating you can get good horse power out of a stock 302 block, if you're not beating it to death at the track. If you are serious about a strong 302 block, I usually start with a BOSS 302 (4 bolt mains) or a after market 302 (4 bolt mains.)
I like MJR46 style. Our 363 Dart Stroker, with all the dressings, and a 88 millimeter turbo is bad to the bone. I am sure all our future blocks will be Dart 363. I am very impressed with this Dart platform.
Please advise if any of my information is incorrect.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:08 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

there are plenty of stock blocks well over the 500 HP mark. it comes down to the tune and the abuse you are putting it through. Now that being said I would in NOWAY put a bunch of good forged parts other then pistons in a stock block. and push it IMO that's a waste of money but it is your money to spend. There bunch of guys out there that have gotten together and have started a stock block competition and some of them cars are well in the 9s 1/4 and 5s in the 1/8 mile now but it comes down to when it fails not if it fails. It is a interesting class and the money is there I seen them saying like 10K pay out which brings out some heavy hitter for sure. so it can be done and has been done but dropping a bunch of oil under the rear tires at 140+ MPH is not my idea of fun when it happens.