5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

When cold, AOD won't shift into Park

Old 10-26-2017, 04:27 PM
89GreyStang

Default When cold, AOD won't shift into Park

With the cooler fall weather, I have been experiencing a problem with the shifter of the AOD. In the morning, usually in the 60s and below, I can shift normally. But a few minutes later when I stop at the local convenience store for the morning coffee and when I attempt to shift to Park and it will not allow me to. It will shift into all the other gears. It is as if there is a lockout that is stuck, and the 'lockout' button on the left side of the shifter feels normal. By the time I reach work, 30 minutes later, I have no problem shifting into Park.

If temps stay above 60 I don't have this problem. It shifts into Park without a problem.

Is there a mechanical 'lockout' that needs to be lubed or is this a problem inside the AOD. If there is a lockout where is it?

G
Old 12-16-2017, 09:56 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Sorry for the late reply....but....

No, the button on the shifter is the only real "lockout" on there. The handle slides a cable back and forth and at the end of the cable is just a lever on the trans which slides a piece back and forth in the valve body. There really isn't anything that is temperature sensative...especially at those temps....to make anything freeze up or lock up.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:03 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

have you tried putting the tranny into each gear to see if it might be a cable adjustment problem? My 93 has an AOD too, but I've not had that problem...
Old 12-30-2017, 05:04 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, I don't mean cable, I think it's a linkage that's solid and not cable driven......

Search this Thread