5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Fuel injectors replacment

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:55 PM
mdj89
1st Gear Member

Default Fuel injectors replacment

Hi guys, I have a stock 1991 mustang 5.0 and it has over 240 thousands miles. I want to replace my injectors and was trying to find out which set of injectors is the best way to go and also what is the pressure as in lb for the stock set?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Fuel injectors replacment

mdj89, with that much mileage, are you sure you don't have a Volvo diesel under the hood??? Just kidding. Go to www.CARID.com they have quite a few selections for your 5.0L, OEM fuel injector replacement. By the way, the OEM pressure is: 19LB/HR.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:26 PM
mdj89
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
mdj89, with that much mileage, are you sure you don't have a Volvo diesel under the hood??? Just kidding. Go to www.CARID.com they have quite a few selections for your 5.0L, OEM fuel injector replacement. By the way, the OEM pressure is: 19LB/HR.
oh ok! I saw the different lb/ft injectors...what would be the most lb/ft I could use with my stock fuel system. And which would be the best brand to get? I am new to all this sorry.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

19 is stock. If you are keeping it stock as in no forced induction, there is no point in going with anything else other than stock pressure. You'll just be wasting fuel at best, or at worst, you'll be stuck on a rich mixture from pumping too much fuel into the cylinders.

Also, for a few extra bucks, it's worth going with flow matched injectors. Flow matched sets are more efficient and can provide better idle and more consistent power delivery because the amount of fuel and fuel spray pattern are matched between the 8 injectors. If you go with a matched set, make sure they offer a certificate of calibration or of flow with the set. The more precise the match, the slightly higher the cost.
3% is standard, but 2% or 1% is also usually available.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:55 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

go to the junkyard and get some 1996-2001 explorer 19# injectors from a low mileage truck they have 4 holes pintle caps so they atomize the fuel better
Old 01-15-2018, 04:08 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Try Rockauto.com for the best prices on stock injectors. Stick with stock.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:04 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Default Changing Injector "Size"

Originally Posted by mdj89
Hi guys, I have a stock 1991 mustang 5.0 and it has over 240 thousands miles. I want to replace my injectors and was trying to find out which set of injectors is the best way to go and also what is the pressure as in lb for the stock set?
The ratings of injectors mean the amount of gasoline an injector will deliver measured in Lbs. per Hour, if the injector was kept energized continually for an hour. Yours are rated at 19 Lbs. per Hour. If you installed larger ones, the result would be a difficult to drive car, large fuel use, and eventual damage to cylinder walls possible.

You CAN install large ones if you change the Mass Air Sensor as well, with one calibrated to the larger injectors.

You might find that simply replacing those high-milage injectors with new ones will result in a better-running engine, and may improve fuel economy.
imp
Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 PM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

Don't replace them.
Send the to this guy:
https://www.cruzinperformance.com/
They come back good as new for far less than replacements.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:38 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by slipperman
Don't replace them.
Send the to this guy:
https://www.cruzinperformance.com/
They come back good as new for far less than replacements.
What does he do to them?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by imp
What does he do to them?
looks like the same thing any rebuilding company does but, he does flow match them too.

Cost of the work he would perform looks to be equivalent to just buying new ones but, the advantage of being flow matched. Something you can't get from a boxed injector.

Quick Reply: Fuel injectors replacment