5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Stalling shortly after starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:44 AM
88_mustang_5.0

Default Stalling shortly after starting

my 88 5.0 starts up mo problem but stalls out shortly after. I just cleaned the engine the day before with (original gunk) when I unplug the tops it runs fine but stalls as soon as I plug it back in. Tried replacing it and it still stalls. It has a mad distributer and ignition with cool air intake. 5 speed any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-18-2017, 12:22 PM
88_mustang_5.0

Default Newbie

gonna try to start it when I get home and hope it dryed out, but is there anything I should check first? It seems kinda weird it idles fine with the tps unplugged but stalls as soon as it is reconnected. Once again any help would be great
Old 12-30-2017, 05:08 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Can you adjust the throttle stop on Mustangs? You can on a Thunderbird with the 5.0. There's a screw on the throttle body which can be turned to adjust the throttle stop. Also there's another allen head screw under a rubber cover on the throttle which in park will raise or lower the idle RPM's

If that allen screw under the rubber plug is not right your base idle will be really low...
Old 01-03-2018, 01:36 AM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Use needles to pierce the tps wires so you can touch multimeter leads to the needles.Plug the harness into the tps.Turn the key on/engine off.Touch the red meter lead to the dk green/lt green tps wire and the black meter lead to the black/white tps wire.TPS range is between .50-1.19 volts at closed throttle,but its best to set it between .70-.99 volts. If it's reading close to 5.0 volts,the tps is defective or theres an issue with the signal return circuit.To check signal return touch the red meter lead to the tps black/white wire and the black meter lead to the eec ground,@ the driver fender apron.The meter should read 5.0 ohms or less.If its higher than this, the signal return circuit will have to be trouble shooted.
If the tps is reading close to 5.0 volts during crank mode,it will trigger the "clear flooded engine strategy" in the ecm.The ecm will shut injector pulse off and that'll cause a no start condition.
If you run a koeo test,you will probably have a tps code present.