5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Vacuum line victim....plus help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 06:42 PM
akaNYr

Default Vacuum line victim....plus help!

A vacuum line came undone in my 95 GT 5.0 SN95. In the attached picture it's the cylinder shaped piece with the white T connected vacuum lines on the top and bundled wires coming out bottom, in middle of pic. Located on engine area on passenger fire wall. The hose going to right side of picture is the one that came off of somewhere in the engine but I don't know where. If anyone knows what the cylinder shaped part with the T connector on top is OR where the hose goes I'd really appreciate any help here, the car is running really rough.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:47 PM
akaNYr

Default Vacuum line victim PICTURE

Originally Posted by akaNYr
A vacuum line came undone in my 95 GT 5.0 SN95. In the attached picture it's the cylinder shaped piece with the white T connected vacuum lines on the top and bundled wires coming out bottom, in middle of pic. Located on engine area on passenger fire wall. The hose going to right side of picture is the one that came off of somewhere in the engine but I don't know where. If anyone knows what the cylinder shaped part with the T connector on top is OR where the hose goes I'd really appreciate any help here, the car is running really rough.

The cylinder with white T connecror on top n wires from bottom, where does the vacuum hose going to right side of picture go to?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:46 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

That's the canister purge valve. That hose you're referring to goes to the underside of the upper intake manifold.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:23 AM
akaNYr

Default Thank you from Vacuum line Victim

Thank you for helping me out. O'Reilly's said it was a purge canister but couldnt confirm where I thought it went. Auto Zone computer said I didnt have one & associate didnt know what it was!
I can see the port for the hose when I put my cell in selfie mode & look in there but I cant get to the port. Do you know how I can get the hose on the port?
Old 11-05-2018, 07:14 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by akaNYr
Thank you for helping me out. O'Reilly's said it was a purge canister but couldnt confirm where I thought it went. Auto Zone computer said I didnt have one & associate didnt know what it was!
I can see the port for the hose when I put my cell in selfie mode & look in there but I cant get to the port. Do you know how I can get the hose on the port?
The thing with two hoses on top and electric wires coming out of it's bottom is a SOLENOID. Turned on and off by the PCM (computer). When "ON", fuel vapor is sucked into engine out of the canister and burned. When "OFF", vapor flow is blocked. You can connect the right hose to any manifold vacuum port. The other (left) hose goes into the space between the inner and outer fender aprons, where the canister is located, and is connected to it.

Don't let them sell you a canister. If yer clever, you can determine if the solenoid is any good or not, by removing it, blowing air through it with and without 12Volts supplied to the two wires. Only thing the PCM can monitor is Solenoid current flow (or lack of it), and if the solenoid is good, no codes are stored. I blocked the flow through my '94 solenoid. Long story, but she runs real nice! imp
Old 11-05-2018, 07:54 PM
akaNYr

Default Thanx

They wanted to sell me a new solenoid but I told them no. I just wanted the vacuum lines changed. It's still close to me $204 and I'm supplying the vacuum hose
Old 11-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

That port is not easy to get to. I know I sure can't fit my hands under there. Better off just removing the upper intake for access.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:53 PM
akaNYr

Default Thanx

I needed the hose on the other side replaced too so I took it to Pep Boys. I supplied the hoses & took off the sway bar over the engine already & its still costing $204. I need to stop being so lazy. Thanks for your help
Old 11-06-2018, 05:53 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
That port is not easy to get to. I know I sure can't fit my hands under there. Better off just removing the upper intake for access.
The several vacuum ports on Mustang 5.0s seem to be "spread" out to relieve the amount of flow from just one location, IOW, in different runners. The canister purge sol. is so close to the manifold, the short drag of air to operate it would likely not matter either way, unless it's diaphragm were ruptured, and it leaked constantly when turned "ON'. imp
Old 11-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, it probably doesn't matter at which point you reattach it to. Still gotta get to the port under the intake, though. To cap it, if not to reconnect the purge line.