Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

new forums and new to the mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 02:14 PM
RaptorIXI

Default new forums and new to the mustang

Hello all. I'm new here and to the mustang. I just recently bought a 2015 mustang gt. I want to do some mods but nothing that will void my warranty. I spoke to my ford service manager about this. He told me if they order parts from Ford racing, or roush, and install it, it won't void my warranty (my dealer is a certified roush dealer ). So that leaves me with only the roush cold air intake, and the ford racing by borla touring cat-back exhaust. None of which require a tune. However once my warranty is up I plan on getting headers and a tune. My general question is if I do get headers by them self, would that need a tune? I know most cold air intakes require a tune, exhausts don't. Second, with the roush CAI and ford racing full exhaust, how much power can I expect? I'm guessing 20hp. Let me know what you all think and thanks in advanced for your help!

Steve.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaptorIXI
Hello all. I'm new here and to the mustang. I just recently bought a 2015 mustang gt. I want to do some mods but nothing that will void my warranty. I spoke to my ford service manager about this. He told me if they order parts from Ford racing, or roush, and install it, it won't void my warranty (my dealer is a certified roush dealer ). So that leaves me with only the roush cold air intake, and the ford racing by borla touring cat-back exhaust. None of which require a tune. However once my warranty is up I plan on getting headers and a tune. My general question is if I do get headers by them self, would that need a tune? I know most cold air intakes require a tune, exhausts don't. Second, with the roush CAI and ford racing full exhaust, how much power can I expect? I'm guessing 20hp. Let me know what you all think and thanks in advanced for your help!

Steve.
I started mods one month after I bought my stang, fu---k it, I want it now, anyway just me
Old 05-30-2015, 07:02 PM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Choppertwo
I started mods one month after I bought my stang, fu---k it, I want it now, anyway just me
Same here as Choppertwo mentioned.
Recently took mine in to the dealer I purchased from, also a certified Roush dealer and installer. Talked through some issues with their lead mechanic who has a reputation of working on the fast ones. He noted that yeah things void warranty's but its rare that it happens. If you drop a valve because of a bad tune , sure you are on the hook. But if you get reputable parts from good companies you should not have issues. A tune or headers is not going to void your warranty on a brake, suspension, etc. type of issue.
He was really pushing me in the Roush direction as well...my pocketbook was pulling me back.
I did restore it back to its stock tune before going in. Although I did definitely notice less top end the car ran well on the stock tune with mods listed in sig.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:20 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

There was a court case on mods vs. warranty many years ago. It basically said (from what I remember) if a mode does not impact the reliability of the engine, then the manufacturer of the vehicle cannot void the warranty. I sure that there is some wiggle room there. Also, parts do not have to be from the manufacturer (such as filters, etc.)

So installing a CAI or exhaust will not void the warranty no matter who makes it as long as it is properly installed. A tune could probably go either way depending upon parameters.

I don't really remember exactly what this ruling said in toto, so a little research might tell you a lot more than I can.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:17 AM
Monumaker

that's what I did... ford racing exhaust. from everything I have read a CAI on the S550 is a waist of money. I had told myself headers and a tune were two things that I was going to stay away from until my warrenty was up... we'll see...
Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

The dealer cant tell if it's been tuned as long as you return the tune to stock before you have your work done. I already purchased a CAI and a tune for my 2015. 400-410WHP from those mods. And since I purchased the automatic transmission it'll correct those lazy factory shifts and give the trans a nice quick shift. I dropped half a second off my 2011 Camaro SS with just a tune. The dealer will rob you blind on any mod install. If you can turn a wrench and a screwdriver you should be able to do most basic mods yourself.