Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Testing warranty theory

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:20 PM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

Default Testing warranty theory

Well it looks like I will be testing out that mod vs warranty question.
Driving home from work tonight on the interstate , not hard accelerating or anything. Went to go from 5th to 6th, pushed in clutch and nothing there, pedal went to the floor. Couldn't shift at all, tried the speed up and power off to shift couldn't get it to go. Got on a off ramp and it died. Stuck it in 2nd gear started up, starter was moving car, and babied it home. No pedal at all??? First thing I did was leave message for dealer and second was to change back to stock tune. I haven't done any mods to the drivetrain, just ones listed in my sig. We will see how it goes....1640 miles on it.

Last edited by whatsup62; 06-11-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: mis- spelling
Old 06-09-2015, 10:05 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

unless you modified the clutch, there is nothing that a tune could do to cause this failure, therefore, stop worrying about mods. i am a ford tech, and unless the mod caused the failure, for example, (over oiled k and n air filter coated the MAF ), then the repair will be covered. it sounds like the clutch master, slave, or line connecting them has failed. nothing you could have done
Old 06-10-2015, 02:22 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I asked the question about the tune in the tuning section. Got a pretty in depth answer about if the dealer can see if you tuned from Bama. Check it out. I'm thinking you'll be fine but returning the tune to stock is the right move per the advice that was given!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:35 AM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
unless you modified the clutch, there is nothing that a tune could do to cause this failure, therefore, stop worrying about mods. i am a ford tech, and unless the mod caused the failure, for example, (over oiled k and n air filter coated the MAF ), then the repair will be covered. it sounds like the clutch master, slave, or line connecting them has failed. nothing you could have done
So...Dealer called this morning. Clutch blew apart. Came out in pieces. Ford is not covering under warranty. They are saying that the power adders I installed are creating more power than the clutch can handle. Said, and I quote, " need to move up to a big boy clutch". Haven't came back at me with a price yet but it's going to hurt I'm sure.
Pretty frustrated right now, made the move to Ford from GM after 30 years. Thinking the Camaro might have been a better choice.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:50 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Make sure you get your hands on that clutch. I heard a story the other day about a clutch that was built using the incorrect alloys. Blew apart and caused around $10k worth of damage.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:21 PM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whatsup62
So...Dealer called this morning. Clutch blew apart. Came out in pieces. Ford is not covering under warranty. They are saying that the power adders I installed are creating more power than the clutch can handle. Said, and I quote, " need to move up to a big boy clutch". Haven't came back at me with a price yet but it's going to hurt I'm sure.
Pretty frustrated right now, made the move to Ford from GM after 30 years. Thinking the Camaro might have been a better choice.
You think Camaros don't break? Think again,everything breaks. I traded a '12 SS m-6 for my '15 GT. The GT is a better car in every way. I spent a lot of time on Camaro-5 and they had lots of clutch problems. I dumped the clutch one time and it just slipped,no burn out. Pretty much gave up on it after that. I like Camaros and had a new:'67,'69,2012, and a nice used '70.
Never again. My '13 GT-500 is the best car I've ever had and I've had a lot.It is the reason I bought another Ford and a Mustang.

Rather than deal with clutches and trannys my GT is an auto ,.355. It was a wise choice and I love it.
Good luck!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:29 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

The big problem with a clutch. It is considered a wear item like brake pads. So that's USUALLY THE DEALERS OUT WITH CLUTCH PROBLEMS! Mind you your dealership is f%&King you. They still need to prove what they are saying. If it came out in pieces it was most likely a faulty unit AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH AN EXTRA 50hp WORTH OF MODS!!!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:38 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daytripper
You think Camaros don't break? Think again,everything breaks. I traded a '12 SS m-6 for my '15 GT. The GT is a better car in every way. I spent a lot of time on Camaro-5 and they had lots of clutch problems. I dumped the clutch one time and it just slipped,no burn out. Pretty much gave up on it after that. I like Camaros and had a new:'67,'69,2012, and a nice used '70.
Never again. My '13 GT-500 is the best car I've ever had and I've had a lot.It is the reason I bought another Ford and a Mustang.

Rather than deal with clutches and trannys my GT is an auto ,.355. It was a wise choice and I love it.
Good luck!
I traded a 2011 2ss/RS for the 2015 preimium with 3.55 gears. The automatic in the mustang is supposed to be a beast. Cant really stand camaro5. What a pack of arrogant douche bags!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:46 PM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

Yeah..I know on the Camaro...words of frustration.
On the clutch in the warranty section it is listed as non-warranty under normal conditions. Normal conditions to me is more than 1640 miles! The car hasn't even been to the track. Only hard launches have resulted in tire spin on the street.

daytripper - Nice looking ride !!!
Old 06-11-2015, 01:11 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn man. That sucks.

Quick Reply: Testing warranty theory