Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Ticking Noise from underside

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Default Ticking Noise from underside

Hey all,

So, i recently replaced my stock exhaust with an MBRP Street Series Catback... 3" system with a 4.5" tip. No problems, car runs and sounds fantastic. Fast forward a couple of months, and two weeks ago, i took the car to the dealership for a regular service. All warranty issues resolved, and service completed.

I get the car home, and now at low rpm, low load (the only time i can hear anything else), there is a ticking noise coming from under the car. I have a pretty good ear for these things, and i can determine with almost certainty that it's coming from the stock side of the car (up to the cat). It almost sounds like the same ticking you hear after you turn older cars off, if any of you can understand what i mean by that. But it started directly after i got the car back from service.

In any event, do any of you have any insights about this? It goes back to the dealer tomorrow for a fuel filler issue (I can't seem to keep the fuel nozzles in the car without sitting there with it, and even then i have fill issues) and a small interior replacement part. I'm having them look at this issue too. I took a video to prove it to them (aside from my service writer, who i've built a working relationship with over the years, the dealer is big on the "we can't replicate the problem" argument).

Anyway, let me know.

Thanks,

-J
Old 10-28-2015, 04:54 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Exhaust leaks can sound a lot like what you are describing. It's possible that the old and new exhaust didn't seat perfectly and that's what you are hearing.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:36 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Yep. Exhaust leak. Look for a black soot spot around the joints. The leak will be pretty easy to find.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:56 AM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Thanks, guys. It's at the shop to finish up warranty work now. I've called them and let them know to look for this. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again!

-J
Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kawiguy827
Thanks, guys. It's at the shop to finish up warranty work now. I've called them and let them know to look for this. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again!

-J
So, ford called. No visible or audible exhaust leaks. Tech said they heard a rattle coming from one of the tailpipes, which are MBRP, so they're not going to mess with them. Understandably so. I'm going to look at it when I get it back tomorrow.

Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2015, 02:40 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kawiguy827
So, ford called. No visible or audible exhaust leaks. Tech said they heard a rattle coming from one of the tailpipes, which are MBRP, so they're not going to mess with them. Understandably so. I'm going to look at it when I get it back tomorrow.

Thoughts?
Update:

No rattling at the tailpipes (no idea what the dealer was talking about). But upon further investigation, i have localized the ticking right under the engine bay. No idea what it could be. The ticking is not uniform or rhythmic. the same kind of random pattern you get when the first few kernels start popping in the bag while microwaving popcorn, if you catch my drift.

Any ideas?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 PM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

There was an exhaust alignment procedure for 05-07's. Might be the same for yours?

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=309&viewfil...0Alignment.pdf

'
Old 04-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Ponyboy17

Did you ever figure out what this was? My 17 gt has this issue, only 4k miles
Old 05-09-2018, 06:53 AM
jlmejia316

Angry SAME ISSUE!

I just recently took my 17' GT (7500 mi) to the dealer for the same concern. Inconsistent rattle tipping into the throttle between 1500 and 2500 RPM. I've personally isolated the noise to the rear end of the side of the block. Cannot 100% tell if it is in the clutch area or if it is indeed in the block. Apparently many have complained about the same issue and have found either cylinder distortion or defective piston wrist pin. Waiting on the dealer to give me an answer in the next couple days.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:45 PM
Ponyboy17

yeah i hear mine around the same area, its really annoying please keep me updated, just hit 5k miles going to do my oil change tomorrow to see if anything changes

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise from underside