Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Air Intake Purchase/Sound Tube?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 06:14 PM
phat_nos_rat
1st Gear Member

Default Air Intake Purchase/Sound Tube?????

Hey,

I am looking to order a JLT Air Intake with a BAMA tune from American Muscle this week. I am looking at video's about the sound tube? What is the sound tube for? Could someone please educate me on this? I will say this again, I am a Foxbody guy, never have owned a new mustang...I am ignorant about these bad machines!

Thanks
Old 04-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

The sound tube is just a tube running from the intake to the firewall. Supposedly pumps intake sound into the cabin. Useless and looks hideous in the engine bay. Most CAI have a sound tube delete to get rid of it.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:28 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Save your money on the air intake.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:45 PM
phat_nos_rat
1st Gear Member

Why is that?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

The factory air intake is very efficient as is. Minimal IF any gains other than manufacturers inflated numbers. Money better spent imo on other items than CAI.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:22 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

True, the CIA will give you minimal gains, but does enhance the sound, so it all depends on what you want. I got the JLT and bama tune combo also and love it. Most of your gains will be from the tune.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:46 PM
phat_nos_rat
1st Gear Member

If you add more air, and then more fuel with the tune, you HAVE to gain HP!
Old 04-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

That's the point the CAI doesn't add any more air. The tune is picking up HP from spark changes, and if you read the fine print most max hp gains are down low in the power curve, likely from tweaking the torque management. actual dyne graphs show minimal if any high rpm increases.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:01 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

As has already been stated save your money on the CAI. The tune adds the power, not the aftermarket CAI. Companies just bundle them together to make money off you. On my 2011 with the Boss Intake I ran 2-3 tenths slower at the track while testing the JLT over the stock one. Why? Because the JLT allowed iat's to go through the roof.

Also Bama would not be a good choice for a tune. I would go Lund with the nGauge.

And remember a tune will give you serious problems if you have any drivetrain issues. Your warranty is essentially voided.

Last edited by scottmach; 04-30-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:01 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
And remember a tune will give you serious problems if you have any drivetrain issues. Your warranty is essentially voided.
For the 58,009th time, (1.) That's up to the common sense of the Service Manager, not some rigid rule. (2.) Under legal precedent, the burden of proof is on Ford to prove that the alteration you made caused the breakdown. I went to a Ford Dealer with a tune & a CAI on my Mustang & they replaced a transmission in warranty without a word. If your car has obviously been raced every weekend, you beat the snot out of it, has slicks on the rear wheels then Ford, & you are 19 years old with a mohawk, then the dealer might not want to repair your "race car" you abuse. It's a judgment thing! It's all up to the Service Manager & the District Manager to decide that. The Service Manager at my dealership told me he'd cover any repair... because he is sure I won't be abusing the car.... but I'm an old guy, so that makes a difference! THERE IS NO DEFINITE RULE even though warrantees tell you that modifications can void your warrantee. It's a judgment thing! Would you want to repair a Mustang "out of your pocket" your buddy "beats the snot out of" constantly racing it? Of course not! Ford doesn't want to either! (I need to copy this post for the 58010th time I have to post it! LOL!)

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-08-2016 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Air Intake Purchase/Sound Tube?????