Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

RPM Drop slowly

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Ramen_Wang

Default RPM Drop slowly

Hi there,

I got a brand new 2016 Mustang GT base model with performance package.

When I put clutch in, the RPM drops very slowly (the dropping time long enough to make a coffee) which prevents me to do the quick shifting. Is there anyone who has the same problem? How can I fix it?

I tried to turn off the hill start assistance. It did make any changes.

Thank you!!!
Old 10-26-2016, 12:47 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

dafuq are you talking about?
Old 10-26-2016, 01:15 PM
Ramen_Wang

Hey, I do have this issue on my car. It makes me wait for about 1-2 seconds to upshift from a lower gear to the higher. If I shift quickly, the car jerks forward. For the downshifting, I just need to give a little gas for the rev-matching.

Thanks,
Old 10-27-2016, 05:06 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Take it to dealer with your concern, that's the beauty of a new car.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:02 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Easiest way to make an engine rev faster is a lightweight flywheel/clutch assembly. Ontop of that, would be a crank pulley. If its as slow as you say though, I would take it into your dealer, and have them check other GTs on the lot if they have to to show the problem.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:33 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Modern cars have slower throttle response (down) to burn off unburned gases that produce smog. Been that way ever since cat converters. I think you have more of a technique issue and you are not modulating the throttle properly between shifts. Not sure if your surging forward isn't really a bucking feeling from NOT picking up the throttle correctly between shifts. It takes good timing to make smooth shifts anymore. If you are speed shifting right on the rev limiter, the computer is probably shutting the fuel abruptly to prevent over revving the engine. Ford won't let you run against the limiter like some cars.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:46 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Most modern manual transmissions I've driven do this to one degree or another. I read a long time ago that one reason was that having the throttle close abruptly during the upshift has some kind of negative effect on emissions. I don't know in what way. So they program a delay in the throttle that slows how fast it closes. I think that's one reason why they're going to DBW throttle controls. I had a 1979 Datsun pickup that did this even back then but it was some kind of damper system on the carb that would slow down how fast the throttle would return when I let up on the gas peddle. At least that system was adjustable. I don't see how it could be adjusted these days unless there is some parameter in the ECU programming that could be changed during a tune. That might be something to look into.

Just a thought!
Old 10-29-2016, 07:22 PM
phat_nos_rat
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
dafuq are you talking about?

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!!