Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Bad ujoint, waiting on driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 AM
robert1349

Default Bad ujoint, waiting on driveshaft

Took my 16 gt [stock with auto trans and skinny 235 tires] to dealer for metallic click/clunk when going from park to drive or reverse or reverse to drive, etc. It's been making noise for about 2k miles and has only 2750 mi on it now.

They said bad ujoint and ordered new driveshaft. I said "new driveshaft for a ujoint?" Service writer said yep ford wants old driveshaft. Wonder how long this will take..

Then I found this thread, https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...riveshaft.html

I had no idea this had such a driveshaft in it. Any comments appreciated. Might take me some time to check as I'm rarely on the net these days.

TIA and good day to all.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:38 PM
robert1349

Out of the shop. Said sliding yoke and not ujoint. Still clunks on cold start from park to reverse but ok otherwise.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Ive noticed mine every couple weeks will do it if my brake is not pressed down well or if im not on level ground (steep driveway, etc). Ive noticed this same thing on previous autos as well.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:03 PM
robert1349

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Ive noticed mine every couple weeks will do it if my brake is not pressed down well or if im not on level ground (steep driveway, etc). Ive noticed this same thing on previous autos as well.
Thanks for the input. I barely noticed it on some other vehicles, most recently a ram 1500 with 8 sp auto. Some of the ram guys put antiseize on tranny yoke and or driveshaft yoke and fixed it.

On my stang the amount of brake makes no difference, not sure about hill as rarely on one. I expect this to come back as it still does it on cold start [higher idle ?]. It will also sometimes do it, even now, at very low speed when shifting to 1st gear while coasting to a light.

If I was to have to pay to have this fixed I'd insist on doing driveshaft and tranny yokes and probably using heavy moly grease or antiseize.