Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Outside air temp stuck on 50

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:56 PM
Jezza

Default Outside air temp stuck on 50

First of all, hello to everyone, and thanks for all the great info people contribute here. This is my first post. I'm a very happy first time Mustang owner after having wanted one for many years.

I have a 2017 GT Premium with Sync 3. Ever since the car was new, every so often when I start it, the outside/ambient air temp reads 50 degrees regardless of the actual temperature. It stays stuck on 50 for usually about 10 minutes and then will eventually raise to the actual temp. This only seems to happen when the temp is above 50. Restarting the car has no effect.

Why is this more than a minor inconvenience? Because while this is happening, the HVAC system thinks the outside air is 50 and so the automatic climate control doesn't effectively cool the inside. Adjusting the temp down doesn't solve the problem because the system still mixes what it thinks is 50 degree outside air. So, I have to press the MAX AC button; that gets the car cool, but I really don't want the fan blowing full speed for 10 minutes.

One dealer shot in the dark and replaced the ambient air temperature sensor. That didn't solve the problem. I took it back to my selling dealer and they recreated the problem in my car and another on their lot. They called Ford, and engineers tested a car on the line and found the same problem.

I'm having a hard time getting Ford to take this seriously as they seem to think I should just live with it. They're saying I'm the only one in the country to complain. I know I can be a little uptight, but I don't think I'm asking too much here.

My dealer's on my side. Between our requests to Ford to come up with a solution, they've committed to send an engineer to work on my car next week. Just curious if others have experienced this issue and, if so, what you've done about it.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:03 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn that sucks. Maybe more people will have the issue as temperatures rise. Any chance humidity has an effect on this reading? Im just guessing because thise outside temps are not accurate for the first couple minutes until a car is moving for maybe a mile or so (or basically a minute).
Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 PM
JC500

I have the same problem on my 2015 5.0. Sometimes it stays at 50 degrees for like 5 minutes them works

I have not had any ac problems it there for a creature comfort to let you know how hot it is ouside. I have not worried about it as it always adjusts withing 3 to 5 minutes
Old 04-22-2017, 11:28 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

While Ford should figure it out and fix it, have you tried turning the auto climate function off, and just run it in manual mode, if that is even possible.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Jezza

Thanks for your replies. At least in my car with auto climate control, the outside temp sensor is more than just a convenience. It affects the HVAC unit because it believes it is blending 50 degrees outside air, when it's actually 70-80-90-whatever. So while it's happening the HVAC fan speed is artificially slow and it's not blowing as cold air as it should. Unfortunately increasing the fan speed doesn't totally solve the problem because it still thinks it's blending 50 degree outside air, so it's not firing up the compressor to cool the air as much as it should. In other words it still doesn't blow very cold air. Plus, we paid for auto climate control.

JC500, my car seems like it's getting worse. It used to only happen for 3-5 minutes after starting, but now it's at least 10 minutes. The other day it lasted over 20. There's clearly something wrong.

I'm taking my car to the dealer tonight and a Ford engineer is coming from Dearborn. I hope they can replicate the problem. You know how that can sometimes go...
Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 PM
gtsuper

Default Outside Temperature stuck on 50 degrees.

Originally Posted by Jezza
First of all, hello to everyone, and thanks for all the great info people contribute here. This is my first post. I'm a very happy first time Mustang owner after having wanted one for many years.

I have a 2017 GT Premium with Sync 3. Ever since the car was new, every so often when I start it, the outside/ambient air temp reads 50 degrees regardless of the actual temperature. It stays stuck on 50 for usually about 10 minutes and then will eventually raise to the actual temp. This only seems to happen when the temp is above 50. Restarting the car has no effect.

Why is this more than a minor inconvenience? Because while this is happening, the HVAC system thinks the outside air is 50 and so the automatic climate control doesn't effectively cool the inside. Adjusting the temp down doesn't solve the problem because the system still mixes what it thinks is 50 degree outside air. So, I have to press the MAX AC button; that gets the car cool, but I really don't want the fan blowing full speed for 10 minutes.

One dealer shot in the dark and replaced the ambient air temperature sensor. That didn't solve the problem. I took it back to my selling dealer and they recreated the problem in my car and another on their lot. They called Ford, and engineers tested a car on the line and found the same problem.

I'm having a hard time getting Ford to take this seriously as they seem to think I should just live with it. They're saying I'm the only one in the country to complain. I know I can be a little uptight, but I don't think I'm asking too much here.

My dealer's on my side. Between our requests to Ford to come up with a solution, they've committed to send an engineer to work on my car next week. Just curious if others have experienced this issue and, if so, what you've done about it.
I have the exact same problem with my 2017 Mustang GT premium. They told me I was the only one in the country with this problem. Apparently not! What did the Ford engineer say was the problem and the fix?
Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 PM
Jezza

They literally told me the same thing! The engineer came out to the dealership but it didn't happen while he was there, of course. Ford said, "You're the only one in the country with this problem," and so they claimed to not know what to do about it. The service manager at my dealership advocated for me and Ford gave me an extended warranty. Given the multiple electronic problems I'm having with the car, I gladly accepted that as a compromise. So I am living with the occasional 50 degree issue. Not ideal but I'm realizing this is no Mercedes and neither is Ford. Have you had any other electronics issues? Just this weekend my auto headlights stops turning them off when I shut the car off.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 PM
gtsuper

Default other electrical problems: none

Originally Posted by Jezza
They literally told me the same thing! The engineer came out to the dealership but it didn't happen while he was there, of course. Ford said, "You're the only one in the country with this problem," and so they claimed to not know what to do about it. The service manager at my dealership advocated for me and Ford gave me an extended warranty. Given the multiple electronic problems I'm having with the car, I gladly accepted that as a compromise. So I am living with the occasional 50 degree issue. Not ideal but I'm realizing this is no Mercedes and neither is Ford. Have you had any other electronics issues? Just this weekend my auto headlights stops turning them off when I shut the car off.
the
But once while accelerating from 80 to 100 mph the engine completely stopped then started again. The dealer said I hit the rev limiter at 5900 rpm! Engine is redlined at 7000 rpm. Hasn't happened since.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:16 AM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gtsuper
I have the exact same problem with my 2017 Mustang GT premium. They told me I was the only one in the country with this problem. Apparently not! What did the Ford engineer say was the problem and the fix?
I would think if you're the only one with that problem then you have a defect that Ford should be trying to resolve. But even if they do look at it and can't find a solution they'll just use, what seems to be, their latest excuse "It's working as designed".
Old 11-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Paul Ponthieux

My car just recently started doing this sometimes as well. It bothered me for about 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: Outside air temp stuck on 50