Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2017 Mustang GT Manual - Thump sound when putting into gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:18 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Question 2017 Mustang GT Manual - Thump sound when putting into gear

The title says it all, is anyone else having a similar issue? It is most noticeable in 1-2-3 and in 4th it is a slightly lower thump sound! The car comes with the MT-82 transmission, I believe it's in the older model mustangs also maybe you had a similar experience? I just bought the car brand new from the factory, only had 3KM's on it and I've had it for 3 weeks now.

Thanks!

Last edited by rumtillidie; 06-18-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Yukonrally

I have it too, brand new '17 GT. I've found I can reduce it if I shift slowly or closer to 3500 RPM instead of lower like I normally do. Seems like a pretty common thing, but I'm not in love with it. I'm thinking of trying the Blowfish shifter bracket to see if that helps with the driveline banging around.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:42 PM
jkrigelman

The dealer will have you believe it is normal. Like anything else that does not work right in the car. I have made a somewhat crappy video highlighting this.

They did try once to fix it. But they just replace 4th gear components because I happened to mention it was most noticeable on that gear. Was a waste of 30 days without the car.

The problem is noticeable if the car is on and at a stand still. If you put the clutch in while in neutral and put it in gear it will bang. If you repeat this it will progressively get louder.

If you leave the clutch in, after the initial shift it will then shift normally. So long as you never take your foot back off the clutch. Seems to me that the drive line is not properly lined up until you have banged into at least one gear.

While driving this can also happen. I have also had issues where I couldn't get the car in gear, once where I could not get the car out of gear, and occasionally you get a weird metal on metal noise. But it is so random that you cannot produce them all for the dealer, so they will pass it off as normal.

I went ahead and filed on the nhtsa.gov site. I have only seen one other person complain. So long as everyone is quiet about it, Ford will not do ****.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:48 PM
jkrigelman

Forgot to give the NHTSA site link.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/F...RWD#complaints

My Transmission Complaint was ID# 11013468
Old 08-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Biziman

Hello J:

I just took delivery 8/15/17 of my new GTP, manual and noticed the same thing, along with notchiness. Dealer says its made that way, but it's odd to me. Feels like an automatic with a "manual" interface. Well it's "remote," so I think the Blowfish mount will definitely help. I am checking with a subject matter expert (SME) and will report back. Newbie to this forum and looking forward interacting with everyone. Less than 600 miles on the car.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:05 AM
rsjackal

Yeap, have it too, to me it sounds like there's something rolling around in the trunk.

Also, had an odd disappointment this morning, just turned 2K miles on my 2017GT, and that wonderful seat of the pants rush is gone, almost feels like the computer has put the car into limp mode or something, dunno, maybe just all the sudden woke up and am "used" to the 435/400 HP/TQ?!?!
Old 08-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Biziman

Well, after performing more research and talking with my SME, he said the Blowfish support bracket is definitely a wise addition as soon as possible. They have improved it by adding the rubber mounts to absorb the vibrations people mentioned. From what I can tell, that won't change the banging (mine isn't quite so pronounced, but the "thunk" is definitely there). The gears will last longer with smoother, more accurate engagement.

Sorry, J - the video doesn't fully convey your issue. I ordered the Blowfish bracket and will get it installed within a week, along with my exhaust upgrade. From what I read, it is far easier to install with the exhausts off (I am having everything from the CATs back, changed). I will report back.

Hey RS--I have the GT Premium with the different drive modes. By chance, when you started, was it on the Snow/Wet setting? I was showing my Indy those modes and left it there by accident. As soon as he started driving he said it was real slushy--we quickly spotted the issue. Otherwise, I'm sure your warranty will cover you. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 PM
rsjackal

Default more info

ok, there may be something wrong with just mine, so I'm asking if anyone else has this issue, combined with the thump......

So I'm "old school", been driving manual trans in vehicles for 33 years, and 6 of them V8 mustangs from 90LX 5.0, to current 17GT, including an IRS equipped 03 Cobra......

That said, I turned off the "Hill Start Assist", as it seemed abnormal to me, I EXPECT the vehicle to roll back slightly on a hill.....

Since doing that I noticed that when starting in 1st gear from a stopped position, the vehicle would shake (like I didn't have a clue how to drive a manual), it has progressively has gotten worse, and on the way home from work tonight, on slight elevations, in stop and go traffic, I had to really rev the vehicle, else it felt like it was going to shake itself apart!

I turned the hill start assist back on, and traction control off, I noticed an immediate difference (not gone though), and then traffic loosened up, and I didn't start from a stop again until 45 minutes later, after turning the car off and back on, at a store, and at this point, on relatively level ground, hill start assist on, and traction control off, it was smooth as silk taking off in 1st......

To answer the previous posters question, I have a plain GT, it does not have the drive modes yours does, the only additional option is a 3.55 rear gear.....

Any advice appreciated!
Old 09-09-2017, 08:30 AM
Biziman

Okay--well I have the PP option with the 3.73 Torsen rear--sorry I can't offer anything to help with your problem, but I will ask around.

As for the OP--I got the Blowfish Bracket installed (along with my exhausts upgrade). It definitely is easier to install with the exhausts off the car. Now that the shifter is more affixed to the trans (as it torques with the motor), shifting is much, much smoother with no notchiness or difficulty getting up/down into gears. This is particularly beneficial under quick acceleration and gear shifts. There is more vibration on the shift **** under load, but that is to be expected (based on reviews). When cruising, it's smooth as silk. As a consumer, I highly recommend this upgrade (relatively inexpensive).

I can still feel the "thunk," although much less pronounced now. I just turned 1,100 miles, so I think it needs more time to break in further. The Blowfish Bracket by design should extend the life of the gears. Very happy with it. Honestly, I don't even see the need for a short shifter (not planning to race the car, but degenerate back to my teen years ).
Old 09-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Erik Harmon

I feel the thunk too.... Kinda lame honestly.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mustang GT Manual - Thump sound when putting into gear