Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Magnaflow Street with H-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 04:05 AM
totoroko

Default Magnaflow Street with H-pipe?

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any experience with the Magnaflow Street exhaust system with an h-pipe? I've seen videos of the Competition version with an h-pipe, and while it sounds amazing, I think it'll be way too loud for me. Plus a lot of folks have mentioned that the Competitions have a pretty noticeable drone. I've opted to go for the Street catback system since they're on the quieter side and have less drone. It comes with an x-pipe, but I wouldn't mind swapping it out for an h-pipe to get an even deeper tone... as long as doing so won't increase the amount of drone. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:45 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

My '08 Bullitt had a Ford OEM H pipe, designed specifically for that car. Paired it up w/a set of Steeda mufflers and it was a glorious exhaust sound.

Just added a Shelby H pipe and FR500S mufflers to my current GT500 and it's even more awesome sounding- it's my former Bullitt on steroids.

X pipe sound vs H pipe sound is more preference than anything else but H pipe provides a lower, bassier sound, more like old school muscle car sound, which is what I prefer.

I'd imagine an H pipe w/the Magnaflow Streets would sound pretty awesome.
Good luck!
Lee
Old 07-18-2017, 04:50 AM
totoroko

Originally Posted by spectreman
My '08 Bullitt had a Ford OEM H pipe, designed specifically for that car. Paired it up w/a set of Steeda mufflers and it was a glorious exhaust sound.

Just added a Shelby H pipe and FR500S mufflers to my current GT500 and it's even more awesome sounding- it's my former Bullitt on steroids.

X pipe sound vs H pipe sound is more preference than anything else but H pipe provides a lower, bassier sound, more like old school muscle car sound, which is what I prefer.

I'd imagine an H pipe w/the Magnaflow Streets would sound pretty awesome.
Good luck!
Lee
Thanks for the input, Lee! I love that classic muscle car sound!!! I've been doing further research and it seems like there are only 2.5" options for h-pipes... no one seems to make them in a 3" diameter, so they won't fit the Magnaflows. Guess I'll have to get some custom piping done at an exhaust shop. We shall see!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:43 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

It'd probably be a lot cheaper to go to a muffler shop and have them weld up an hipe rather than buy an aftermarket h pipe, anyway! My Bullitt's OEM H pipe had a small washer placed in the cross tube, to help replicate the sound of McQueen's original Bullitt. W/the Steeda cans, that sucker just sang a beautiful song.

I was lucky enough to snag a new/leftover/old stock Shelby H pipe for my GT500. I have no idea if they did likewise w/their H pipe. All I know is that the Shelby H pipe, along w/the FR500S cans, sounds even sweeter than the Bullitt did and mimics old school muscle car sound even more so.

But I can't imagine that nobody sells an H pipe that fit the Streets. You might also want to shop Craigslist as I often see Ford OEM Mustang GT H pipes posted f/s; might be able to modify it pretty cheaply too.
Lee
Old 07-19-2017, 10:59 PM
totoroko

You were right, man. I called up a local muffler shop and they said they can weld up an h-pipe for me for around $150 installed. Sounds a bit TOO cheap based on my experience shopping around for h-pipes online... they usually run above the $200 mark for stainless steel piping. I'll start off with the included x-pipe the Streets come with and see how those sound before making the decision to swap out to an h-pipe. Maybe I'll record a few vids and post em up to get your opinion on the x-pipe sound. If you're willing to check them out, that is!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:47 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

Actually, I think that price sounds a tad steep- I was thinking $70-100 bucks so if you were thinking more, then it sounds like a good deal!

X vs H is all about preference of sound. I know what I like, ergo the H pipe. Your mileage may vary. Get what you like- that's the beauty of Stangs! Mod heaven.
Lee
Old 07-20-2017, 05:13 AM
totoroko

Haha yeah man, I'm in Hawaii... everything costs more here.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:54 PM
totoroko

Just installed the Streets! Not sure if it's supposed to sound this way... and it might just be me not being used to hearing a louder, throatier exhaust... but it kinda gurgles at around 1,500 to 1,800 rpm?? At idle it's noticeably rougher and I feel it jerk very slightly (it's an automatic). Never did that before with the stock exhaust. Any ideas?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:03 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

The Streets are a pretty mild muffler. Should just louder than stock. But other than sound, you shouldn't really notice anything different w/the car. Mufflers don't do that much other than control exit sound.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:05 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

And might I add that finding that 'right' exhaust sound is different for everyone. Like I mentioned, I love the old school muscle car type sound- low, bassy, w/a gurgle and thump. Some folks like the higher pitch and raspiness afford by an X pipe and something like a Pypes set up. Others remove the cats & do muffler deletes for the loud factor.

You might have to figure this one out.