Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Trouble with Power Pack 2 hesitation

Old 10-18-2017, 07:28 AM
rsjackal

Well, I don't have the performance pack, going with a JLT and Tune, shortly, but I have noticed, a slight occasional stumble with mine usually in 2nd or 3rd gear, @ WOT, for a brief millisecond, didn't happen when I first bought it, I thought bad gasoline, so swapped to only tier 1 93 octane, and it still sometimes happens.

Not exactly "East" TN, but I have all my work done in Lebanon TN, at Delk Performance (if I don't do it myself), been visiting them since my 2K2 GT, top notch, when they work on your car, their working on it, like it's theirs, JMHO!
Old 05-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Chas.

I also have the Ford stage 2 intake installed on my 2015 GT with PP. It does make more power.

But, I have the "stumble" issue if I lift during a 2-3 (manual) shift. I know from reading that it's the "no lift" feature causing this problem. I don't need of use that feature and I wish I could make it go away because it causes problems. Being a retired roadrace track guy I don't "power shift" as it generally upsets the car when on the edge of adhesion in my old-school way of driving.

It seems to only do this stumble if I take it above 5000-rpm and I lift when I shift. If I count to 2 before stabbing the throttle, after the shift, it does not stumble. I remember reading somewhere that Bama had a programming version that fixed this tune software issue. But that would presumably void the Ford warranty. I have 15,000 miles and I have an extended warranty through Galpin Ford (good for 7-years).

I called Ford racing and I didn't hear anything that sounded like a fix was available. They told me that it is "hitting the rev limiter" if I lift during a shift. Bear in mind that this happens at rpms above only 5000 to 6000 rpm. If I have experienced this it must mean others have too.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:53 PM
amartinez

Originally Posted by Chas.
I also have the Ford stage 2 intake installed on my 2015 GT with PP. It does make more power.

But, I have the "stumble" issue if I lift during a 2-3 (manual) shift. I know from reading that it's the "no lift" feature causing this problem. I don't need of use that feature and I wish I could make it go away because it causes problems. Being a retired roadrace track guy I don't "power shift" as it generally upsets the car when on the edge of adhesion in my old-school way of driving.

It seems to only do this stumble if I take it above 5000-rpm and I lift when I shift. If I count to 2 before stabbing the throttle, after the shift, it does not stumble. I remember reading somewhere that Bama had a programming version that fixed this tune software issue. But that would presumably void the Ford warranty. I have 15,000 miles and I have an extended warranty through Galpin Ford (good for 7-years).

I called Ford racing and I didn't hear anything that sounded like a fix was available. They told me that it is "hitting the rev limiter" if I lift during a shift. Bear in mind that this happens at rpms above only 5000 to 6000 rpm. If I have experienced this it must mean others have too.
It's definitely the no-lift-shift. I have a 2017 GT PP with the same Power Pack 2 + Exhaust + that Ford tune that comes with PP2 and it does the same thing. Quickly shifting the normal way will make the engine stumble on the recently shifted gear for a few milliseconds, even if already engaged. Started going to the race tracks and it's killing me, it does them on all 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4rd gears, etc. Worst part is, if you manage to very quickly shift, the new gear will engage, the revs will start to go down AND THEN the fake rev-limiter of the no-lift-shift will kick in. This upsets the car balance like there's no tomorrow: fast accel -> stale while shifting -> fast accel kick of new gear kicking in -> no lift shift engine stumble -> sudden kick when the engine stale ends.

Was trying to see online how to actually use it, but there's not much out there, the closest would be this... in which case, damn, that's butter smooth sounding shifting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG_9...youtu.be&t=306
What do you guys think?
Old 06-24-2018, 08:05 PM
Chas.

Default Not suprised in a way

Yep. That's it.

It is just Bozo amateur-hour crummy firmware. That kind of bug should never have happened. If you just like banging gears in a straight line it's OK I guess. On a road course it is trash. You have enough going on without needing to keep reminding yourself about the motor coughing a fur-ball accelerating out of a corner.

So my "work-around" is to back off on the throttle before shifting - slow the shift down by about 1 second - then ease back with less than full throttle into full throttle over about a 2 second period. It smooths it out once you get the hang of it. Over all it makes so much more power, with Stage-2 plus cat-back, that it doesn't give up much performance.
Try it and see if it helps.

I set a lot of lap-time records and FTDs in my day and I did by driving smoothly. Never upsetting the balance of the car. If you are driving with only one percent traction left in reserve that is how it works. That was my style. The only guy I ever saw that could thrash a car around like crazy, and still beat everyone else, was Parnelli Jones back in his day. he was a magician.

BTW
I called the people at Ford and I don't think they have a clue how stupid this problem is and how easily it could be fixed. It just myopic stubbornness.

Not too surprising however....
I ran an engineering dept. for many years and software coders seem to need more adult supervision than hardware engineers. It isn't the coder's fault. It's the lazy fools that don't check their work. Remember the Mars lander that crashed because a subroutine that calculated landing used miles and the code calling it supplied it distance in Kilometers?
Old 06-25-2018, 07:10 PM
amartinez

Originally Posted by Chas.
BTW
I called the people at Ford and I don't think they have a clue how stupid this problem is and how easily it could be fixed. It just myopic stubbornness.

Not too surprising however....
I ran an engineering dept. for many years and software coders seem to need more adult supervision than hardware engineers. It isn't the coder's fault. It's the lazy fools that don't check their work. Remember the Mars lander that crashed because a subroutine that calculated landing used miles and the code calling it supplied it distance in Kilometers?
Cringy at best, upsetting and enraging at worst when we happen to be on the receiving end.

I tried your way, works fine, gradual acceleration is better during most part of a circuit.
Also tried the full no-lift-shift routine when on high speed sections, just slamming clutch - change gear - release clutch without lifting the gas... And actually I must say, damn, it does work, it is quick.
So, it would be great if they could just iron out that bug when changing gears THE NORMAL WAY to not have the engine "cough a fur ball" (very well said) on the target gear already engaged.
I'll leave the "fix" here:
if (gearChanged == true)
{
StopNLS();
}
Old 07-03-2018, 01:21 PM
quabbinman

Default Power Pack 2 Hesitation

I have the power pack 2 with the latest download from Ford...
I still have the hesitation around 5000 RPMs on hard shifts...
Maybe the only way to do hard launches is to use the the no lift shift option...
I have posted this question on other Mustang forums ,but,I have not received any replies...

Have you resolved your shift problems?

I thank you for your time

2017 GT with PP
Old 07-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Chas.

quabbinman. ..No I just use the technique I mentioned above to get by it. No lift shifting, to me, is something I outgrew in my 20s.

Quoting Murphy - If you don't respect your equipment it will fail you at the worst possible moment.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:24 PM
quabbinman

Default No lift shifting

Thanks CHAS.
At my age.I will use the same technique...it's been 20 yrs since my last tow home..
Old 07-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Chas.

one thing I have noticed is that backing off to maybe 3/4 throttle - then shifting - then keeping 3/4 throttle for a bit ( maybe 2 seconds and then squeezing full throttle back on) in the next gear produces acceleration that is essentially just as brisk. The power this 5.0 produces with Intake-stage-2 and exhaust is amazing. It is a beast! And the problem with it tripping the Rev-limiter ( and the resulting stumbles) is fooled completely. I have driven several roadrace ( back in the 1980s and 90s) cars with 500-600 power range on many tracks in cars that weighed around 3000 pounds or less and the thrill is really close to that --- if the tires hook up. This 2015, 5.0 has made me a happy guy. Especially the handling for a car its size.

Anyhow, I wish Ford would fix this firmware bug.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 PM
amartinez

@chas:
Can totally relate, I wish I had started this when younger. Maybe with cheaper and used cars or something, I would have found a way.
These GTs man, there is not a single time when I go to drive it that I don’t feel excited to ignite it, and I have been daily driving it for a full year...
And now on drags and race tracks, I just can’t stop, adding mod after mod slowly but surely, some cosmetic some engine. Just learned this week that a 10% more tire grip can translate to an equivalent 2x power increase on a same track. So next mod, tires.

Now, it really pains me to see the engine tumble like that, especially that it’s a bit by surprise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trouble with Power Pack 2 hesitation