Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Trouble with Power Pack 2 hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Chas.

@amartinez...

Well I read someplace that Bama could tune it out. But I have an extended warranty -- and in California it wouldn't meet smog regulations. I'm still tempted though. I think the computers, fuel pump or A/C is more likely to fail before the basic power plant.

I had the Perelli P-zero tires stock. They were junk. Once they had about 4000 miles on them they would chatter violently under heavy throttle -- even in second gear when they were cold.

BFG summer comp tires were a huge improvement. They hook up well. I would rather have this throttle problem than those Perelli tires. There was no way to accelerate hard until hitting 3rd. gear. and that was even before I added the intake system and cat back.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 PM
amartinez

Originally Posted by Chas.
I had the Perelli P-zero tires stock. They were junk. Once they had about 4000 miles on them they would chatter violently under heavy throttle -- even in second gear when they were cold.
I can second this. When cold they are the worst, also generally bad during cold/rainy days (15C or less). During the hot summer days they haven’t been that bad... but yeah, I’ll just try to go with real track tire compounds, Nitto maybe or take a look at BFG then.

Will do research this time... I have ended with a couple of things I regret: a useless (both cosmetically and functionally) rear spoiler. And... wait for it... Pirelli Sotto Zero winter tires... holy crap, DONT get these, overly expensive and useless... I’m literally drifting around in slomo the whole city. Yeah, no, in my experience I can’t say that Pirellis have been a good.

Thanks for the suggestions. Time to get on it.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:33 PM
rjpkrp

I too have a 2017 GTPP with the Power Pack 2. I have that horrible stumble right after 2-3 shift. I raced stock cars back in the day and SCCA before that, so I am old school like everyone else. I'm not sure there is ANYTHING you can tell me to convince me to leave the throttle matted when I stab the clutch and am already shifting at/near redline. So I have been rolling into 3rd as if I'm trying to keep the rears from spinning on takeoff. Same concept and rolling into the accelerator as if there is an egg underneath. Sometimes though, I'd just like to stab it! I wish we could remove the NLS from the tune.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 AM
quabbinman

Default No lift shift

No not understand why Ford does not have an updated tune to solve the problem
Old 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Chas.

Maybe the forum moderator could forward this to someone at Ford Racing with the authority to say yes - instead of just obfuscating the issue.

This should be an embarrassment to Ford people. It has made me take pause in considering any additional Ford Racing products.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:35 AM
rjpkrp

So, what happens if we remove this crap tune and go back to the original tune on the car and leave the throttle body and air intake? This tune has made the car undriveable in performance conditions. I can't get a 1/4 miles or 0-100 time because I lose 1.5-2s to the stumbling on the shift. In all honesty, the Power Pack 2 ruined what was a very fun car to drive in performance conditions. It is still fine for cruising around town etc, but heck, if that was all I wanted to do all the time, I'd buy a Honda Civic, not a high horsepower pony car.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Chas.

Well, if someone here is an attorney, or Paralegal, maybe we can have a letter sent to Ford Racing that we can all sign.

Not to be abrasive or anything..... Rather to let them know that there are many of us that would not recommend ever installing these powerpack products on a Coyote motor. Does that fit their ambitions? To have a product that disappoints and that creates problems for a sub-set of its purchases? All for the want of an insignificant fix.

I have learned that many people you encounter with a problem in business only have the power to say no. You have to get to a higher level to get the attention that's deserved.

Last edited by Chas.; 07-17-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-17-2018, 03:02 PM
quabbinman

Default No lift shift

Chas...i am on board with you

Hopefully there is a lawyer that has a 2015/2017 Mustang GT with the same problem on the forum
Old 07-19-2018, 02:19 AM
amartinez

Originally Posted by rjpkrp
So, what happens if we remove this crap tune and go back to the original tune on the car and leave the throttle body and air intake?
Don’t. Mind you, I’m no mechanic, but the car intake geometry, air flow, ratio, etc has varied enough for the default stock configuration. I understand that since now there is more air coming, default timings and fuel injection amounts would make it run too rich on air potentially damaging the engine.
Just like using less than 91 octanes would also be potentially damaging.
For 1/4 miles, I started using the thing actually, in my case I don’t think there would be a faster way to shift, it does feel a tad smooth since the RPM goes down for you... problem (ar least for me) is really on race tracks, can’t be shifting so wildly like that.

Bringing the lawyers: I think that should be last measure. We want to point them a mistake that seems to be an easy fix... Or we could be risking them deciding to stop offering such products for the consumer market?
Old 07-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Chas.

I'm not suggesting a lawsuit. However, a letter on Mr. X Esq. letterhead will be kicked upstairs to someone higher that a couple of mechanics and software programmers.

Quick Reply: Trouble with Power Pack 2 hesitation