Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

500 WHP NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Erik Harmon

Default 500 WHP NA

I know I am not the only guy to talk about this, but I have yet to find anyone who was really serious about pursuing this goal to the end.
I just got my 2017 GT a few weeks ago and I would really like to stay away from any FI solutions, and 500WHP is the such a nice sounding round number. Build list:
-C&L Racer CAI
-Catless Long tube headers - Haven't picked a specific kind, though I am thinking 1 3/4"
-Gibson 3" Cat back
-VooDoo intake Manifold
-Comp Cams CR Series Cams
-91 Octane tune - GODDAMMIT CALIFORNIA!!!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 PM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

There's a way to get a CJ manifold installed on an S550. It is the best N/A manifold. The PMAS CAI is also the best intake to use with the CJ. MMR's custom N/A cams are probably going to make more power then the comps, but I havent seen dynos. To make the real power N/A you need to rev as high as possible. The CJ extends and flattens the top of the power band so that when you shift you maintain the same power.

Revving the car higher then it was designed for, while also making way more power then it was designed with is a recipe for failure. The higher rpms exponentially increase stress on the engine. MMR recommended these engine upgrades for me when I was considering going N/A. The S550 is stronger then my S197, so all might not be needed

MMR Billet OPG and Crank Gear
MMR Heavy Duty Secondary Chains
MMR Billet Primary Tensioners
MMR Billet Secondary Tensioner Bracket
MMR Stage 2 N/A Cams
MMR Spring kit

If you're going to have the engine opened up, might as well upgrade to higher compression forged pistons and rods to make even more power
Old 09-16-2017, 09:18 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

You will need the following to pass 500whp.....CJ, large single blade TB, Pmas intake, cams, E85. If you do head port work it would be slightly more assuring to get there.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Erik Harmon

Solid recommendations fellas. As far as the internals and the revs I am not sure what they have done to the heads for the S550 vs S197, but that still makes sense to do, as long as it's torn apart.
Do you guys have any recommendations on shops for the headwork? Heads could be shipped pretty easily.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:01 PM
phat_nos_rat
1st Gear Member

Default 430rwhp

JLT CAI
Kooks 1 3/4" High Flow Cats
Res Delete X-pipe
Legatto Mufflers
3.73 upgrade
Ford Track Pack suspension
BMR Cradle lockout
Barton shifter

Looking to get 500rwhp n/a but really don't know if cams and head work is going to do it and be worth the money.
Attached Thumbnails 500 WHP NA-prodyno-gwyneth-7.29.17.jpg