Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2018 GT Cold Air Intake Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:03 PM
fshubert

Default 2018 GT Cold Air Intake Suggestions

Greetings! New Ford owner here. First Ford ever. Figured I'd start with the 2018 GT. Amazing car! Glad I made this choice! So I'm looking for just a mild modification and wanted to ask for recommendations on a cold air intake for the car. From looking thru American Muscle's website and catalog, there seems to be significant difference for CAI's for GT's prior to 2018, so anyone with a 2018 GT and a CAI recommendation, I appreciate your input. Thanks!!!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:05 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Your intake IS a CAI, follow the path of the air! Use a K&N or Spectre filter in it...

If you can SEE the air filter in the engine bay, so can the heat from the engine bay...
Old 04-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Cpthair

While his intake may already be a CAI, a larger diameter tube with a better flowing filter is going to help the 2018 Coyote a lot. There is lots of information about this out there now. Almost every tuner that has touched this car has said that the stock CAI tube does not allow for the amount of air needed at high engine speed at WOT.

@fshubert, do you want an intake large enough where you need a tune as well? You will obviously see a larger gain from this. The tune would just be to adjust the MAF sensor readings so that the car doesn't throw a code. You can opt for a performance tune at the same time if you want and see a lot more gains. Or you can go with just a better flowing, SLIGHTLY larger diameter tube and you wouldn't need a tune to adjust the MAF sensor readings. I personally don't think the non-tune aftermarket CAIs are worth it, but to each their own. If you wanted a tune-required one, I would probably lean towards the PMAS intake. The Roush may be a good choice if you're not sure you want to get a tune right away but may get one later. It comes with an insert that lowers the diameter so you don't need a tune right away.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:24 PM
fshubert

Originally Posted by Cpthair
While his intake may already be a CAI, a larger diameter tube with a better flowing filter is going to help the 2018 Coyote a lot. There is lots of information about this out there now. Almost every tuner that has touched this car has said that the stock CAI tube does not allow for the amount of air needed at high engine speed at WOT.

@fshubert, do you want an intake large enough where you need a tune as well? You will obviously see a larger gain from this. The tune would just be to adjust the MAF sensor readings so that the car doesn't throw a code. You can opt for a performance tune at the same time if you want and see a lot more gains. Or you can go with just a better flowing, SLIGHTLY larger diameter tube and you wouldn't need a tune to adjust the MAF sensor readings. I personally don't think the non-tune aftermarket CAIs are worth it, but to each their own. If you wanted a tune-required one, I would probably lean towards the PMAS intake. The Roush may be a good choice if you're not sure you want to get a tune right away but may get one later. It comes with an insert that lowers the diameter so you don't need a tune right away.
Thanks Cpthair! I was thinking about the C&L Racer CAI with the Bama Rev-X tune. These seem to be the first ones from American Muscle that say are compatible with the 2018 GT. These keep my total cost down to $700. Thoughts?
Old 04-30-2018, 07:31 AM
Cpthair

Originally Posted by fshubert
Thanks Cpthair! I was thinking about the C&L Racer CAI with the Bama Rev-X tune. These seem to be the first ones from American Muscle that say are compatible with the 2018 GT. These keep my total cost down to $700. Thoughts?
I took a peek, as it's not one I've looked at personally. The tubing looks like it flows well. Does it come with a heat shield that fits around the filter? If not, you may want to investigate one that does. I've read some stuff from CJ's that said they got very similar dyno results with the JLT intake with the shield on and with the shield off but as MustangDude said above, no shield around it means warmer air into the intake albeit more air.

I know I was looking at the PMAS intake for mine, but it is a higher price point. Also, while it IS just a CAI, generally you get what you pay for so there may be some cheaper parts of it or performance may not be as high, etc.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:52 PM
Bierbelly

Originally Posted by Cpthair
Wow! What does that mean about my commute?
Old 04-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Cpthair

What do you mean your commute? If you're talking gas mileage, you won't see a difference. The performance tune has the potential to give you 1 or 2, but it 100% depends on your driving.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:36 PM
Bierbelly

I mean I seldom drive home in b2b traffic at WOT. Anyone else here? Dyno racing. LOL
Old 04-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Cpthair

Unfortunately, I'm in bumper to bumper traffic pretty much every time I drive mine. I get lucky sometimes and get to go the speed limit, but when I'm in traffic, I make sure people can hear me with the Active Exhaust in Track mode. lol.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Bierbelly

Oooh, maybe I'll have to try that. Been wondering what the different driving modes do/how they work.

Quick Reply: 2018 GT Cold Air Intake Suggestions