Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

What synthetic motor oil do you use?

Old 01-18-2016, 09:21 PM
CA Coyote

Default What synthetic motor oil do you use?

Spec is for Motorcraft synthetic 5w-20w. I'm leaning towards Mobil-1. What say you?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:50 PM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

You cant go wrong with Mobil-1.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:32 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I researched years ago & as I remember there are basically two bases of synthetic oil. Unless you are running an engine under tremendous stress the cheaper base synthetic oil is fine. I have a Toyota Avalon passed around in the family that is approaching 400,000 miles with no internal engine repairs that has been run on Walmart's Tech 2000 brand of 100% synthetic oil. It's a very cheap Syn oil. In my 2016 Mustang GT, I will run Mobil 1. She's special!

Also my Toyota Sienna Blew a radiator & my wife ran it out of water. It seems in survive just fine. The extra tolerance of heat without breaking down of synthetic oil is worth the investment. It isn't really more expensive if you run it 7 to 10,000 miles as many car manufacturers now recommend.

Auto trans. fluids are a more complicated issue from what I can tell, but I treat them very well, since getting any trans rebuilt properly seems nearly impossible! For me... they last 10 minutes past the warranty!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:22 AM
CA Coyote

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I researched years ago & as I remember there are basically two bases of synthetic oil. Unless you are running an engine under tremendous stress the cheaper base synthetic oil is fine. I have a Toyota Avalon passed around in the family that is approaching 400,000 miles with no internal engine repairs that has been run on Walmart's Tech 2000 brand of 100% synthetic oil. It's a very cheap Syn oil. In my 2016 Mustang GT, I will run Mobil 1. She's special!

Also my Toyota Sienna Blew a radiator & my wife ran it out of water. It seems in survive just fine. The extra tolerance of heat without breaking down of synthetic oil is worth the investment. It isn't really more expensive if you run it 7 to 10,000 miles as many car manufacturers now recommend.

Auto trans. fluids are a more complicated issue from what I can tell, but I treat them very well, since getting any trans rebuilt properly seems nearly impossible! For me... they last 10 minutes past the warranty!
I hear, WalMart's Tech-2000 brand of synthetic oil is made for them by Kendall Oil company? It should be fine, they're a very reputable player in the oil space. WalMart is usually pretty **** about whom they use for their store-brands for most every product.

Many of my high-performance car-friends use Mobil-1, with excellent results. Even changing the oil every 10K miles (w/the filter - which also has be a serious choice).

The Ford/Motorcraft synthetic oil (recommended in the Mustang's owners' manual) is a Conoco/Phillips product (ie. TropArctic brand). Another good choice.

I was just wondering what some Mustang folks use? Carry on.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:45 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I run Mobil-1.

There was a youtube video of pouring very cold synthetic oil and Mobil-1 won.

That sealed the deal for me as I was using Amsoil and Mobil-1 beat it.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:08 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Amsoil is superior in many ways to Mobil 1 which changed it's formula and is no longer a "full" synthetic. Amsoil is all I run.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:24 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I like Castrol Edge, but have used NAPA "full synthetic" with no issues, Mobile 1 is fine.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:13 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

"Mobil 1" not "Mobile 1"
Old 01-30-2016, 10:29 PM
boomer46

My warranty has free oil & filter changes at the dealer. They've been using Castrol Synthetic, I assume the Edge (is that synthetic?), 5W20.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:32 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default Mobil 1

Originally Posted by scottmach
"Mobil 1" not "Mobile 1"
Thank's I do make misspelling mistake to, I mean too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What synthetic motor oil do you use?