Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Which rear end gear for you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Default Which rear end gear for you?

Hello All!

I just bought a 2010 Mustang GT 5 speed. I am really leaning towards getting better rear end gearing (I don't have the factory 3.73 option), and figured I would check the forums first. So, here I am.

Any thoughts on whether to go with the 3.73 or the 4.10? I want the extra pick up, but don't want it to feel like a tank either.

And, if anyone is located in the Detroit area, let me know if you know of any professional installers that won't charge me an arm and leg. I would definitely want the speedometer re-calibration.

Thanks all in advance.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride! Do a search on here for "gears" and you'll find lots of opinions on which ones to get. I got the 4.10s and love them, some get the 3.73s and love them. Gas mileage isn't much different between the two really. If you have a stick you should probably go with the 3.73s and if you have an auto go for the 4.10s.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:35 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

I searched and found some good info, but nothing really "on point" to describe the pro's and con's of the 3.73 vs. the 4.10 on a manual 5 speed with V-8. I did, however, come to doubt that I have the 3.55 gears installed now as previously believed -- I'm reading that the base was actually 3.31 and suspect that's all I've got (maybe that's automatic only?).

Also looking for an installer in the Detroit area . . .
Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 AM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

I have 3.31's in my 5spd, and I hate them. I'll be changing them out for 3.73's. 3.73's won't rev as high at cruising speed saving you a little mpg. If you plan on going forced inductin with a twin screw go with 3.73's and 4.10's if your getting a centri. supercharger. Now if your staying N/A its really a matter of opinion...some say don't fear the gear and will tell you to go with 4.10's IMO i believe 3.73's are the best gear you can put in a mustang(5spd).
Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 AM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

Look under the rear of the car, at the back of the diff. On the cover should be a sticker that will tell you your gear ratio.

To pick between 3.37 and 4.10 do some research and compare it to your driving habits and what you want. Do you do a lot of highway driving? 4.10 probably wouldnt be good for that. Either way you wont be disappointed from what I have read on these forums people like them both.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:42 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I'm not really looking to do any further modifications, i.e. superchargers, etc.

I drive a mix of highway and in town. Like I said, I'm hesitant on the 4.10, as I don't want it to feel like a go-kart.

At the same time, if I'm going to pay for the upgrade, I don't want to be disappointed because I don't feel a big difference between the the 3.31 (presumed to be what I have now) to the 3.73.

My thought is, if Ford offered the 3.73 as a $495 upgrade, how big a difference could it really be?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
Thanks. I'm not really looking to do any further modifications, i.e. superchargers, etc.

I drive a mix of highway and in town. Like I said, I'm hesitant on the 4.10, as I don't want it to feel like a go-kart.

At the same time, if I'm going to pay for the upgrade, I don't want to be disappointed because I don't feel a big difference between the the 3.31 (presumed to be what I have now) to the 3.73.

My thought is, if Ford offered the 3.73 as a $495 upgrade, how big a difference could it really be?
The price has nothing to do with the end result. The gears themselves are quite cheap. I love my 3.73s, even though I can't directly compare them to 4.10s.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

I realize the gears are cheap, but the hp and performance on any particular vehicle model has as much to do with marketing decisions as with cost-to-hp decisions.

Point here, I just question whether Ford would offer an inexpensive upgrade that makes a really dramatic difference to the way the vehicle drives or performs. I'm reading that the 3.73 gears (versus the 3.31) made a tenth or two on the 0-60 times, so I guess that's something to consider.

Again, I'm speculating, and I appreciate the opinions here to help me make a more educated speculation.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The RPM difference between 3.73 and 4.10 in 5th or O/D is 200 at most. That's a very small difference on the tach. Also there's no need to worry about MPG between the two. The only way I see 3.73 as the choice is you go twin screw/roots. Otherwise, there really is nothing to fear about gear.

</thread>
Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback.

MPG matters some to me, but the acceleration-to-drivability equation matters more. Anyway, from what I've read, the 4.10 requires the engine to work less upon acceleration, all but making up for the gas difference when cruising. Don't know if that's true but, again, MPG is only a small consideration . . .

Quick Reply: Which rear end gear for you?