Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Whipple and Roush

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Default Whipple and Roush

I know this has been talked about a lot of times, but when my car went into the shop today to get the transmission fixed I talked to the performance guy in the dealership.

I first said I was interested in getting the Roush because I would be happy with 435hp and not look back. Which he said he's heard that a 100 times and people end up upgrading and having to upgrade the whole unit for basically the price of a brand new supercharger.

So I asked him about the Whipple 400hp unit. He said it was a great unit and easily upgradeable. But the one question I forgot to ask was overheating issues. The one thing I really liked about the Roush 435hp unit was it was inter-cooled even with only 5psi of boost. The 400hp Whipple unit is running 400hp at 5psi and has no intercooler, should I be worried about over heating and engine issues with this unit? I like the fact the Whipple unit is very easily upgraded I just don't see myself needing 500hp soon, but 400hp would be very nice.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 AM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

Okay, a little off subject. But where do you all get the money to purchase these things? Is it that you have awesome paying jobs or what?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Believe it or not, but people who drive mustangs can have money too! What does it matter how he got his money?

Anyways, I think the consensus around here is that you should intercool no matter what amount of boost you are running. It will keep your temperatures down, and you get more hp per psi of boost. Personally, I would go intercooled Whipple (more money than what you are asking about right now). I have not been impressed with the Roush mustangs that I have seen at my local drag strip. It could be driver error, but the cars seem to run slightly faster than a stock GT, and I feel that they should perform better than that. I know you didn't ask, but right now, I think I'm going Procharger here in a few months. The price of the HO twin screw superchargers has deterred me from them, in addition to having 4.10s and a few other reasons. Have you thought about a centri-type blower?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

Okay my statement was taken the wrong way. I did not imply that people with mustangs don't have money.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:30 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rneely2111
Okay my statement was taken the wrong way. I did not imply that people with mustangs don't have money.
No worries. I didn't mean to sound harsh. That's the problem with text.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

Agreed! I would love to mod my car. But on a teacher salary it is HARD!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

I'm not buying this thing right now. I am researching and every month I put money away into investment accounts that I have opened just for my car. I am saving up but the key to good savings is to know how much to save.

I agree the price of the HO whipple kit is pretty steep. I have also looked the the performance of the roush 435hp kit and it was pretty disappointing which is why I was looking at the 400hp whipple kit, but the problem is no inter-cooler. I guess an option would be to buy the inter-cooler from the 550hp kit and put it on the 400hp kit (since the charger is the same). If I were to still run the 5psi would I have to get a different tune just because of adding on an inter-cooler or do you think the tune would be ok?
Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I believe that you get a tune from Whipple for the system you purchased. With that tune, you can change pulley size for more or less boost without the need to change the tune. The thing is, why run 5 psi on an intercooled system that can run 10 psi? It just gets expensive real fast, which is why I'm leaning to the centri-types. The place I'm looking to get the Procharger installed can get me the P-1SC-1 HO intercooled kit (including fuel system upgrade, spark plugs, and fuel injectors) for just under $5,000. That means that I can get it installed and a custom dyno tune for less than the cost of the HO Whipple hardware.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Well remember the 10psi system requires duel fuel pumped (additional $800) and a couple other things. Do you think the car will be safe running without the intercooler (5psi). I mean ford does sell it and can be put under your factory warranty when you buy the car so I would think it would be very conservative and very safe. Thats why I was wondering if you can add an inter-cooler without having to get it re tuned... But I guess if ford sells it without the inter-cooler and would be covered under a factory warranty it most likely is a very safe system. What kind of power would that make to the wheels? I've heard Roush system of 435 makes over 400rwhp in less than optimal conditions. Should I expect the whipple to be making around 360rwhp? or do you think it will be closer too 400...
Old 03-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

I want bewst
I can no haz tho.....
Maybe one day I can haz bewst and Gears....that woul dmake me happy.

But on topic....
I wouldn't have a supercharger without an intercooler

Quick Reply: Whipple and Roush