Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 mustang gt engine question

Old 03-27-2010, 02:25 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 AM
blksunshine

The new motor has a better, stronger block with 6 bolt mains (2 on the side like the Ford GT) and a forged crank. Although it has the similar forged powder connecting rods and hypereutectic pistons with the above mentioned 11:1 CR. This article is the best breakdown of the engine i've seen. There's a comment from a Ford engineer about the rods being just good enough for the motor.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ine/index.html
Old 03-28-2010, 11:18 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blksunshine
The new motor has a better, stronger block with 6 bolt mains (2 on the side like the Ford GT) and a forged crank. Although it has the similar forged powder connecting rods and hypereutectic pistons with the above mentioned 11:1 CR. This article is the best breakdown of the engine i've seen. There's a comment from a Ford engineer about the rods being just good enough for the motor.

i mentioned the other day that the dealer where i bought my GT is one of the larger roush dealerships in this part of Texas. My salesman is the roush guy there and he was telling me that they are having issues with boost on the cars and the trannies giving out. He said that roush isn;t going to offer blown versions from the get go because of this. Take that with a grain of salt and consider the source. anyhow, i thought i read that the internals were basically of the same quality as they are in the 4.6.

i also figure that the GT350 is upgraded internally significantly over the stock cars. FWIW, the dealer also told me last week that they were getting so many pre-orders for the 5.0 at $2K over MSRP that they are now asking as much as $8K over sticker on pre-orders.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blksunshine

Hmm, in that article you linked it says this:
"It would not use EcoBoost- Ford's combination of direct fuel injection and turbocharging-but it would be engineered to withstand forced induction"

then this:
"The new engine would be as physically small as possible while physically stronger than the 4.6. "

and
"There were no bye runs from Ford management on durability, cost, noise or other guidelines."

as well as:
"There were no bye runs from Ford management on durability, cost, noise or other guidelines. Part of a new base engine is its longevity. With engine production life-spans often measured in decades it was important the Coyote had long-term breeding. Mike explained it: "We knew that someday there would be a DI version of this engine. We knew someday there would be a supercharged version of the engine. We knew that someday someone would want to do something on it," he explained. "So we wanted to make sure when we did the initial design work that it would be robust enough to not have to re-engineer the whole thing down the road and any subsequent programs would be very investment efficient and time efficient and so we did package DI injectors, we did really improve the bulkhead strength to take supercharging, we upgraded the cylinder head bolts and the main bearing bolts, all of that stuff ... We just wanted to make sure it was a good base going forward, that the architecture would last us the next 10 or 15 years."

I haven't read the full 15 pages of that link, but seems they talk about how strong the engine is and on a few occasions mention how it's primed and ready for supercharging without having to redo the internals.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:21 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I did read all 15 pages, and they say more than once that every part of the engine is ready for boost... except for the rods. They are forged, but they're forged powdered iron, which is much weaker than nodular iron, and pretty much everything else. But they're cheap.

They did say that the rods are absolutely strong enough in stock form, but just strong enough.

More curious is the fact that they said the MT82 six-speed they used is only rated for 375lb/ft of torque...
Old 03-28-2010, 06:27 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

The GT350 is rated at 500HP according to everthing I could find Google.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

A representative from Whipple said they were at 550 rwhp on the FRPP Supercharger Development Car with the stock bottom end. He did not give fuel or boost information.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:53 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
I did read all 15 pages, and they say more than once that every part of the engine is ready for boost... except for the rods. They are forged, but they're forged powdered iron, which is much weaker than nodular iron, and pretty much everything else. But they're cheap.

They did say that the rods are absolutely strong enough in stock form, but just strong enough.

More curious is the fact that they said the MT82 six-speed they used is only rated for 375lb/ft of torque...
They are rated at for 8000 rpm with the longer stroke of the 5.0L. Compared to 7600 rpm with the shorter stroke the 4.6L Rods where rated at.

I believe the quote from the engineer has been blown out of proportion. He was referring to production apps in that the Rods and Pistons would have to be replaced in a Future Supercharged Application (Read Twin-Tubo GT500). For those that dont know turbos are superchargers. I assume they would aim for 650 bhp in that application.

Powdered Metal (Steel) is absolutley stronger than Nodular Iron. 8000 rpm nodular iron rods dont exist to my knowledge. Powdered Metal Rods are not as strong as some conventional Forged Steel Rods. Not all Powedered Metal Rods are particularly weak. The GT500 can make 700 rwhp on the stock rods.

We went through this all in 2005 when everyone said the 3V would not take over 400 rwhp without the rods and pistons going. Now we have FRPP Kits that with aftermarket tuning make nearly 500 rwhp with very few engine failures. I think this engine will make 550 rwhp however its likely only going to need 6.5-8.0 psi to get their and its going to be running similar cylinder pressure at that level as a 11.0 psi 3V. It remains to be seen.

PS It has been stated that the factory Lunati Terminator Rods will fit (although its very tight) although pistons may be an issue.

Last edited by Gene K; 03-29-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:41 AM
D_hof_07_V6
1st Gear Member

i just want to say that was one intense 15 page article. but i loved every word of it!!