Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

picked up my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Turn traction and stability control off, then go try to break her loose, but be careful, because rear wheel drive is a lot more difficult to control in a slide than front wheel drive.
How do you figure that?

Once drive wheel traction is broken in a front-wheel drive vehicle, it becomes a sled, enjoy the ride, 'cause steering is gone.

On a rear-drive vehicle, when drive wheel traction is lost and the rear end starts moving the wrong way, you just turn the front wheels into the direction of the skid to maintain control. Now, you might run out of road, but it is easy to keep control w/ a rear-drive.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:42 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Also, all the high-end vehicles include a certificate permitting the vehicle to violate the laws of physics, so none of this applies.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Paul1588
1st Gear Member

Now that I have 150miles on the car the thing has amazing off the line power,I will bet my life there was something locking out power in the ecu untill a certain number of miles where on the car,needless to say i couldnt be happier, but i have noticed because i never really looked hard before that the finish on the wheels is blochy and has black spots in areas and its not from brake dust,its actually in the finish,im taking it into the dealer for that one
Old 05-23-2010, 01:53 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations!
Old 05-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Paul1588
i havent romped on it,uk just a little gas in first ha,expect to break the tires loose but it didnt happen
The cars improve after a couple of thousand miles. My 08 GT is an Auto and I couldn't break the tires loose for the life of me until after I had a couple of oil changes. Now, if I'm not careful (22K miles) and I hammer it when I'm doing under 15 mph I will spin the tires.

Plus, make sure your traction control is off when you romp on it. If the newer control is more active (like on a vette or camaro) it will limit the motor to keep you from spinning. 08 GT traction control was more of an after thought as in, you were already spinning wildly before the control kicked in.

P.S. Just read your last post. It wouldn't surprise me if Ford did put a power limiter in there to keep the engine from getting hosed.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Congrats and post up some pics!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
sas281gt

There could be something to the whole ECU thing. I know the Cobras wouldn't get full power until so many miles. That was to keep the "joy riders" from tearing them up.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingless
How do you figure that?

Once drive wheel traction is broken in a front-wheel drive vehicle, it becomes a sled, enjoy the ride, 'cause steering is gone.
Actually a FWD its easy to regain control. In a 4 Wheel Skid you simply turn into the skid to allow the front end to regain traction then apply throttle and drive out of the skid.

In a FWD car I can go around and around a wet skid pad indefinately with the rear tires totally locked up with the parking brake. All it takes is quick hands and throttle. This is a standard part of any decent performance school.

RWD is quicker and more fun but not as forgiving.

Just so you know the Sport Mode in the new GT is very aggressive. It allows you to get way more out of shape than I was expecting. I was using intentionally "slow hands" waiting on the brakes to cut in and straighten the car. Believe me my hands were really speeding up when it finally cut in. I have my doubts Sport Mode would save you without some fairly aggressive driver input. Its more like a Helping Hand than a Safety Net.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:37 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gene K
Actually a FWD its easy to regain control. In a 4 Wheel Skid you simply turn into the skid to allow the front end to regain traction then apply throttle and drive out of the skid.
Turn in and hope traction / steering is restored.

Originally Posted by Gene K
In a FWD car I can go around and around a wet skid pad indefinately with the rear tires totally locked up with the parking brake. All it takes is quick hands and throttle. This is a standard part of any decent performance school.
That is an abnormal condition and does not reflect anything other than driving around a wet skidpad w/ the parking brake locked.

Breaking traction in a FWD car causes steering to be lost, causes the car to head to the outside of the turn and hope / prayer for steering to return is the best / only option.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingless
Turn in and hope traction / steering is restored.

That is an abnormal condition and does not reflect anything other than driving around a wet skidpad w/ the parking brake locked.

Breaking traction in a FWD car causes steering to be lost, causes the car to head to the outside of the turn and hope / prayer for steering to return is the best / only option.
Its indicative of a rear wheel skid. Its simply easier to drive out of in a fwd because you can both countersteer and apply throttle and drive out of a skid with essentially zero rear wheel traction. In the same situation with rwd you simply have to hope that countersteer and a slight modulation of the throttle will either transfer enough weight or reduce tire loading enough to allow rear traction to be regained.

When all front wheel traction is lost it doesnt matter whether a car is front or rear wheel drive you are going straight regardless. You just hope thats where you want to be.

PS How did we get on this subject? Oh well back on topic.

Last edited by Gene K; 05-25-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: picked up my car