Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Gearing Question: Is 3.31 enough?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

I was thinking the same thing....
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
In your post, you indicated that on the hyway that the 3.55 will come in handy over the 3.31. It would seem that the 3.31 would be better for the hyway given the mileage should be higher. Am I missing something?
Not sure if you were referring to my post or someone else's. I don't remember writing the 3.55 will come in "handy" on the highway.

But if someone else wrote that I can only assume they mean, with slightly lower gearing of the 3.55's you are less likely to need to downshift for passing maneuvers. But yes the 3.31 will get better highway mileage.
Not much though, as the difference in rpms at 70 mph is about 100-125 rpms more on the 3.55's than the 3.31. So we're talking about maybe .5 mpg better highway mileage with the 3.31's
Old 06-02-2010, 11:23 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
Not sure if you were referring to my post or someone else's. I don't remember writing the 3.55 will come in "handy" on the highway.

But if someone else wrote that I can only assume they mean, with slightly lower gearing of the 3.55's you are less likely to need to downshift for passing maneuvers. But yes the 3.31 will get better highway mileage.
Not much though, as the difference in rpms at 70 mph is about 100-125 rpms more on the 3.55's than the 3.31. So we're talking about maybe .5 mpg better highway mileage with the 3.31's
i actually got slightly better gas mileage on the highway with 4.10s over stock with my car. it doesn't make sense but it's true. around town my mileage went down though
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I wasn't referring to mileage on the highway with the 3.55s. I was referring to acceleration. The 3.55s will come in handy for acceleration at highway speeds, where straight-line traction isn't an issue.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Old Chuck

Default hawkeye18

Thanks for the clearification. Excelleration on the hyway makes sense.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Yes, as simple as it is, to me, adding a drop in filter and racing oil disqualifies it as STOCK.

Though it's minor, I got 3.8 rwhp and 2.6 rwtq from a K&N drop in filter in my 335i coupe.
Nothing to write home about, but a drop in filter in the 2011 GT may be good for 5-6 rwhp.

Not sure how redline oil will do for the 2011 GT, but I dyno tested several different oils in my 335i, and even Royal Purple and guess what, it did nothing.
Every time, I saw within 2-3 rwhp no matter which oil I used under similar weather conditions.
(Actually after using Royal Purple and going from 1220 miles on the car to 2500 or so, on the same dyno with weather that was within 3 degrees of each other, the Royal Purple oil dynoed the least).

Maybe I'll try Redline sometime and dyno test it to see how it does.

BTW, I'd love to see the Powerhouse car run at another track other than ATCO (which is pretty well known to be one of, if not the, fastest track in the country....meaning if low ET's are your goal is "glory" numbers or bragging rights, make the drive to ATCO).
Just wanted to make sure it was clear. The Mustang was Showroom Stock. It was the Camaro SS (12.63) that had a K&N and Redline Oil. That is often quoted as the Camaro Record however.

After looking at the Mustang GT Filter it looks like it might be similar to the "Deep Pleat" GT500 design so I doubt a gain of 5-6 rwhp. The GT500 Motorcraft Filter has been shown to make more power than the K&N in some test.

As long as the oil is stock viscosity I dont have an issue with synthetic oil. If its 5 Weight Qualifying Oil thats a different issue.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:57 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Yes, as simple as it is, to me, adding a drop in filter and racing oil disqualifies it as STOCK.

Though it's minor, I got 3.8 rwhp and 2.6 rwtq from a K&N drop in filter in my 335i coupe.
Nothing to write home about, but a drop in filter in the 2011 GT may be good for 5-6 rwhp.

Not sure how redline oil will do for the 2011 GT, but I dyno tested several different oils in my 335i, and even Royal Purple and guess what, it did nothing.
Every time, I saw within 2-3 rwhp no matter which oil I used under similar weather conditions.
(Actually after using Royal Purple and going from 1220 miles on the car to 2500 or so, on the same dyno with weather that was within 3 degrees of each other, the Royal Purple oil dynoed the least).

Maybe I'll try Redline sometime and dyno test it to see how it does.

BTW, I'd love to see the Powerhouse car run at another track other than ATCO (which is pretty well known to be one of, if not the, fastest track in the country....meaning if low ET's are your goal is "glory" numbers or bragging rights, make the drive to ATCO).
Ya, ATCO is know for very fast times, hence I got my stock 4.6L GT to a 13.32 bone stock to the filter/tire. However I would like to mention that it was dec (prob 25 deg out) and I still pulled an 1.9 60ft
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnnyv8
Ya, ATCO is know for very fast times, hence I got my stock 4.6L GT to a 13.32 bone stock to the filter/tire. However I would like to mention that it was dec (prob 25 deg out) and I still pulled an 1.9 60ft
I dont know... We seem to do okay down here at Montgomery and Steele.

Really all it takes is reasonable altitude, good air, good prep and someone whos willing to practice a little.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Cardm31

Question Stock 2011 GT performance?

Has anyone seen a road test or performance results of a stock 2011 GT? It seems like every test I've seen of the 2011 GT is manual, 3.73 geared, Brembo equipped coupe. Once in awhile someone will test an automatic but, not with full test results.
Isn't anyone else interested in how well a manual, 3.31 geared, non-Brembo equipped coupe performs? Or a 3.55 geared car tested? I've sent emails to the editor of a few car mags but, I'm probably the only one so, I could use a little help, please.
Also, I've seen various under-hood shots on youtube and it seemed like only the Brembo equipped cars came with the shock tower brace but, then I saw a non-Brembo car with a brace. What's the secret combination of options that gets a shock tower brace on the car from the factory?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:08 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cardm31
Has anyone seen a road test or performance results of a stock 2011 GT? It seems like every test I've seen of the 2011 GT is manual, 3.73 geared, Brembo equipped coupe. Once in awhile someone will test an automatic but, not with full test results.
Isn't anyone else interested in how well a manual, 3.31 geared, non-Brembo equipped coupe performs? Or a 3.55 geared car tested? I've sent emails to the editor of a few car mags but, I'm probably the only one so, I could use a little help, please.
Also, I've seen various under-hood shots on youtube and it seemed like only the Brembo equipped cars came with the shock tower brace but, then I saw a non-Brembo car with a brace. What's the secret combination of options that gets a shock tower brace on the car from the factory?
I believe any vehicle with 19" wheels gets a STB. Since the Brembos come with 19" wheels, they get one. The verts get one as well.

Quick Reply: Gearing Question: Is 3.31 enough?