Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2011 Exhaust Modifications - What to do???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM
dSINtia

Default 2011 Exhaust Modifications - What to do???

Alright, lots to think about with these new 5.ohhhs but I haven't seen much discussion about people's intentions with the exhaust. Some may be happy with the stock sound but others (like me) aren't. I have always, always increased pipe diameter from the cats back and ran without a resonator or muffler (yeah, it's loud but damn!). I am hesitant to do that with this car as they (FORD) seems to have put some thought into the system. Stainless headers, 2 1/4" pipe for better low-end torque into a resonator and X-pipe and then 2 1/2" pipe to the stock muffler with tips. My first thought was to drop the resonator and stock muffler and simply increase pipe size to 3" from the x-pipe back. Seems economical but may be a bit aggressive. What say you? Too loud? Will it result in performance issues? What are the economical alternatives?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Going ricer dimensions are we?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Just take the mufflers off, leave on the resonators, and start there. I'd be real interested to hear "Boom Tubes" on this new car....
Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
Going ricer dimensions are we?
3 inches is hardly ricer. I think Ricer is more like 5 inches coming out of a 10 inch can
Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 PM
dSINtia

Yeah, agreed. Not ricer by moving to 3" pipe. I would be worried going much larger would result in some drone at highway speeds and could also adversely affect torque numbers but I doubt it would be noticeable at all in daily driving.

My first thought was just mufflers and I too am interested to hear a set of boom tubes...
Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

What about just a set of loud mufflers with 3" pipes from muffler back.
Won't change any of the performance Ford intended, but you'll get a louder sound out of the rear. Shouldn't be too costly that way either.
However, you'll gain little to no power as you know, and probably save only about 5-6 lbs in weight.

Oh, yeah, and for me, no mufflers, no resonators = too loud will make few smile and many pissed off and think "what the hell did you do"
But if that's what you want, then that's what you should do.
Just don't drive in my neighborhood after 10 pm or before 7 am ok?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I don't know how big, but magnaflow makes a nice sound axle back for the 2011 5.0's. You can listen to the sound/video clips on their website. IMO running no muffler is kinda a "Redneck" thing.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:49 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

brand new car and your already wanting to mod it, man I would just leave it alone. It's your car, gl and have fun.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM
It_Guru

I'm putting my MagnaFlow Competition Axle backs on tonight. The exhaust is 3" back from the H Pipe anyway(pretty sure it is at least as the stock mufflers have a 3" inlet). I had the mufflers off for a day, sounded real mean, not that loud, but the pipes clang around without mufflers. It also seemed a little "redneck" to me.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 AM
It_Guru

Originally Posted by dSINtia
Alright, lots to think about with these new 5.ohhhs but I haven't seen much discussion about people's intentions with the exhaust. Some may be happy with the stock sound but others (like me) aren't. I have always, always increased pipe diameter from the cats back and ran without a resonator or muffler (yeah, it's loud but damn!). I am hesitant to do that with this car as they (FORD) seems to have put some thought into the system. Stainless headers, 2 1/4" pipe for better low-end torque into a resonator and X-pipe and then 2 1/2" pipe to the stock muffler with tips. My first thought was to drop the resonator and stock muffler and simply increase pipe size to 3" from the x-pipe back. Seems economical but may be a bit aggressive. What say you? Too loud? Will it result in performance issues? What are the economical alternatives?
It's a H pipe stock and 3" from that back. Heard it is the H pipe from the 2010 GT500???

Quick Reply: 2011 Exhaust Modifications - What to do???