Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Test drove the 11 GT 5.0 AUTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Default Test drove the 11 GT 5.0 AUTO

and I got to say, if there was any doubt as to which tranny to get (auto or manual) in this car, get the MANUAL.
Though the auto has shown to run just as quick (maybe a bit quicker because of it's ability to shift faster than any human can and probably launch better/more consistently, it was God awful boring.
No paddle shifter, not even a column "manual" shifter.
Just put it in D and let it go.

Autos can be pretty fun with paddle shifters or even the column shifter and throttle blipping downshifting, but an old school plain automatic tranny in a performance fun car, just took a lot of the fun out of it.

I live in LA and deal with bumper to bumper traffic quite often, and both my BMW 335i's were the first autos I've ever gotten in my fun/performance cars. But that 6 speed auto with paddle shifters and throttle blipping downshift (not to mention sport mode that held the gears to redline if you choose) was WAY better than the 11 GT Mustang's plain jane auto.

Get the manual my brothers and sisters, even if you occasionally have to deal with bumper to bumper traffic.

Oh and on a side note, the tube that pumps the engine sound into the cabin is pretty cool, however, when accelerating you hear more noise coming from the engine than you do from the exhaust, and that's just kind of weird.
I think they should of given the exhaust a bit more aggressive sound and dulled down the sound of the engine coming from the engine bay.
But the 5.0 does sound awesome either way.

Power wise is pretty good, but below 3500 rpms it does feel a bit soft (may be the 3.15 gearing in the auto) but after having tuned 335i's that made 390 rwtq at 3000 rpms (440-450 from engine), the 390 crank in the Mustang would feel a bit soft. But the engine pulls hard above 3500 rpms.

They didn't have a manual for me to test, and this was at the world's largest Ford dealership. They had dozens of 2010 GT's left on the lot.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 PM
fraxum

Originally Posted by Driver72
I live in LA and deal with bumper to bumper traffic quite often, and both my BMW 335i's were the first autos I've ever gotten in my fun/performance cars.

Power wise is pretty good, but below 3500 rpms it does feel a bit soft (may be the 3.15 gearing in the auto) but after having tuned 335i's that made 390 rwtq at 3000 rpms (440-450 from engine), the 390 crank in the Mustang would feel a bit soft. But the engine pulls hard above 3500 rpms.
Nice, another 335 owner. I currently have an E90 335i 6m. Great car but over time it got a bit boring. Just a bit. I keep hearing how refined the 2011 GT is. Does the Mustang seem more fun? I am a V8 fan. Thinking of going with a 2011 GT once my lease expires. Thoughts on the 335i as compared to the Mustang? Does the Mustang feel bigger?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking in regard to the auto. It doesn't even come close to competing with the 370Z transmission. 370Z may be slower, but their auto is a lot more fun. Hopefully we see a good implementation of paddle shifters in the 50th anniversary 2014 redesign. Good implementation is key - something similar to the 335i or 370Z. Paddles that have a huge delay and don't blip the throttle properly are useless.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

No offense guys its a mustang guys not a BMW or Jag or Benz like you guys might be probably use too! I drive my CLK500 Vert during the week and it has a the paddle shifts on the wheel and the triptronic shifter when I wan't to shift! The computer is so much faster than me shifting its just more fun to leave it in D unless Im really looking for some spirited driving, which I will do occasionally. I am not saying paddle shifters would not be a good idea in the Mustang but Ford has to keep cost down if they want the be the Best valued pony car. The Camaros I think have paddle shifters but yes they are more expensive, same thing with the challenger triptronic there also, but we wont even go there with the challenger, I laugh every time I see one of their window stickers lol! But main point is Ford will get around to it, once car prices continue to rise , they will slip a few more options in here or there as time allows. Just my .02
Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost01GT
No offense guys its a mustang guys not a BMW or Jag or Benz like you guys might be probably use too! I drive my CLK500 Vert during the week and it has a the paddle shifts on the wheel and the triptronic shifter when I wan't to shift! The computer is so much faster than me shifting its just more fun to leave it in D unless Im really looking for some spirited driving, which I will do occasionally. I am not saying paddle shifters would not be a good idea in the Mustang but Ford has to keep cost down if they want the be the Best valued pony car. The Camaros I think have paddle shifters but yes they are more expensive, same thing with the challenger triptronic there also, but we wont even go there with the challenger, I laugh every time I see one of their window stickers lol! But main point is Ford will get around to it, once car prices continue to rise , they will slip a few more options in here or there as time allows. Just my .02
It's still a $30,000 car, and this is a feature its competitors have. To keep a competitive advantage it needs to be added. I guarantee we'll see it soon.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
It's still a $30,000 car, and this is a feature its competitors have. To keep a competitive advantage it needs to be added. I guarantee we'll see it soon.
agreed considering even the camaro has the feature
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

I've never driven a paddle shifter, I suppose it might be OK. A novelty at least. The blip downshift thingies sound like they would be fun.

Conventional autos bore me to tears, though. Gots to have a clutch and a stick, I don't care in the least if the auto can shift faster than me.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Mullethunter

When I went to buy mine I didnt even look at a automatic. Its a sports car and in my little world there is no room for automatics.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Abilor

Originally Posted by Mullethunter
When I went to buy mine I didnt even look at a automatic. Its a sports car and in my little world there is no room for automatics.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I went and bought my car without ever knowing how to drive a 5 spd and still bought the 5 spd. Some people like the auto for their own reasons but you cant get in the power band anytime you want like you can with a manual.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 11 GT 5.0 AUTO