Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Steeda 2011 5.0 testing baseline

Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul1588
looks like u lost a hell of a lot of down lower power, i think better tuning is in order,peak numbers are nice and all but not at the sacrifice of 100hp at 3000rpms

or maybe im just reading this graph wrong
You have the graph wrong. We gained power right from 3,000 up.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul1588
arent the dark red and blue lines the steeda tune and the lighter lines are stock?
Blue is stock, red is cold air/tune
Old 06-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Paul1588
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Blue is stock, red is cold air/tune
well then looks promising, Ill keep u guys in mind
Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Although the gains seem impressive, some of you may have overlooked the "Baseline was done on 87 octane" I think Ford even claims like 20hp+ by just using 93 octane as the computer will adjust for octane automatically as started with the 2008 Bullitt.

Nevertheless, it's always interesting to see new parts and Steeda has always been great with their quality and parts (as I have used and still use Steeda.)

Still skeptical about just how much improvements can be made with this engine using bolt ons to make power, to include even Cams, P&P Heads, etc. Eventually something I want to invest in, so I encourage all the more.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Don't know what Ford "claims" in power increases for the 2011 by going to 93 fuel, but switching to 93 fuel in the 05-10 netted you 5 hp at best. I can't imagine that any more than 5-7 hp in the above test was from fuel.

STEEDAGUS -- so, if you had to hazard a guess, what would probably be the gains to the more true 368 hp number?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

The marketing literature I have seen from Ford claims an approx 10hp difference between 87 and 91 octane fuel.

Our car came from the dealer with 87 octane in it. We had a very good reason to stock with that fuel for baseline testing.

Almost every single customer with an 05+ we speak to that has yet to tune their vehicle runs 87 octane and they always want to know what they will gain when they retune the car for the high octane gas they have access to (91 or 93 oct depending on the area). So we chose to baseline the car with the fuel 95% of our customers will be starting with before they make the modification. Your gains will definitely be less if you are already starting with 91 or 93 octane in the tank. A minimum of 10hp less is to be expected.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 06-16-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
The marketing literature I have seen from Ford claims an approx 10hp difference between 87 and 91 octane fuel.

Our car came from the dealer with 87 octane in it. We had a very good reason to stock with that fuel for baseline testing.

Almost every single customer with an 05+ we speak to that has yet to tune their vehicle runs 87 octane and they always want to know what they will gain when they retune the car for the high octane gas they have access to (91 or 93 oct depending on the area). So we chose to baseline the car with the fuel 95% of our customers will be startig with before they make the modification. Your gains will definitely be less if you are already starting with 91 or 93 octane in the tank. A minimum of 10hp less is to be expected.
I have probably not dynoed as often as you and your company, but I have dynoed probably 60-70 times on cars I've owned and taken part in dynoing probably 30 other cars as well. So actual pulls I've done personally or been a part of is several hundreds.

And if you did a baseline on 87 Octane and then follow up pulls with CAI and tune on 93 Octane, your results are skewed and inaccurate, plain and simple.

Point blank: You should of redynoed a "baseline" on a stock car with the 93 Octane BEFORE doing your dyno on the CAI and tune. That's basic comparison knowledge.
Ford claims a 10 hp difference between 87 and 91 Octane. But there's a good chance that means 12-15 with 93 over 87
I my previous 3 cars all dynoed 4-5 whp more on 93 than 91 octane with no other changes to the car.
91 Octane is the recommended octane to make the claimed 412 hp, but that does NOT mean the ECU won't adjust up in power for higher octane, just like it does down with lower octane.

Also, saying that nearly every single 05+ customer you talk to starts with 87 Octane before they tune, may in fact be correct with 05-10 cars. I'm not sure, but I believe the 4.6 made the power ON 87 octane, so there was no need to run higher octane when stock.
That's a completely different situation with the 5.0.
It requires 91 octane to make 412 hp and it's recommended.
Therefore, I don't think too many 11 5.0 owners will be running 87 octane, ESPECIALLY owners who are thinking of tuning and modding their cars because they want more power. That would just be stupid, when they know they can get more power simply be running the 91 Octane.

My suggestion to you, take your CAI off, remove the tune and go back to stock. Drive the car around for at leasst 50 miles STOCK on 93 Octane Dyno the car ON 93 octane STOCK.
Get the PROPER baseline number from that.
Then put your CAI and tune back on and redyno same day, same dyno, same tank of gas.

Then publish the delta gained numbers. That would be a proper and accurate way to dyno and then publish and market your products gains.

Last edited by Driver72; 06-16-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

The 5.0 doesnt require 91 octane thanks to its adaptive knock strategy. It runs just fine on 87 and Ford is shipping them out of Dearborn with 87 octane.

You may be right that many 5.0 owners wont run 87 octane, as more cars get into the field and we get more phone calls we may find the answer out. But I would not be surprised if 87 octane is still predominant. Even a majority of our 04-earlier customers only run 87 octane on their stock and even modified engines.

This is why we chose to baseline 87 octane. We really dont expect to see a major trend shift happening among owners. Time will tell.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:28 PM
wantgt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Although the gains seem impressive, some of you may have overlooked the "Baseline was done on 87 octane" I think Ford even claims like 20hp+ by just using 93 octane as the computer will adjust for octane automatically as started with the 2008 Bullitt.

Nevertheless, it's always interesting to see new parts and Steeda has always been great with their quality and parts (as I have used and still use Steeda.)

Still skeptical about just how much improvements can be made with this engine using bolt ons to make power, to include even Cams, P&P Heads, etc. Eventually something I want to invest in, so I encourage all the more.
All you have to do is look at what lethal performance has done with their mustang.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Steeda -- what do you think the hp comparison would be utilizing the stock 368 number had you not used 4th gear?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steeda 2011 5.0 testing baseline