Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Steeda 2011 5.0 testing baseline

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Default Steeda 2011 5.0 testing baseline

One of our 5.0 test vehicles is now being dyno'd here locally at our Pompano Beach facility. Most of the testing we were doing prior to this was with Ford on prototype vehicles.

Our baseline run on our manual transmission car came up with 368hp and 363ft/lbs of torque. Dyno run was done in 5th gear which is 1.1, and this car has 3.31 gears in it.

Many parts will be tested on this vehicle including production candidates for our upcoming cold air intake. Pre-production candidates have already been worked on.

Here is a picture of a pre-production piece below. Any questions or comments feel free to post!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:53 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Question everybody is dying to ask.... how much power did your CAI add???
Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

We are not ready to release any numbers yet. There are some other boards where results have been prematurely released from early testing by other manufacturers on their cold air intakes and their results were less than stellar.

We have usually never been first to release numbers on any new parts over the years. We always take extra time to make sure that what we are doing does what we say its going to do. So please be patient with us
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

We have some numbers now we are ready to release. But first a little background.

In 5th gear this car dyno'd at 368hp but would hit the speed limiter before the rev limiter due to our car being a 3.31 gear equipped car. In 4th gear the car dyno'd at 336hp at the wheels.

We decided to work with the car in 4th gear. This will produce lower numbers all around, from the baseline number to the final number so they should not be used to compare against other cars.

Keep in mind a car with 3.73's will also dyno slightly differently in both 4th and 5th gears. Add on top of that the fact not every dyno reads the same, different days with different weather conditions produce different results, etc and it becomes nearly impossible to make accurate apples to apples comparisons.

That is why discussions on power numbers can become so heated. With questions whether one company or even an enthusiasts dyno number is accurate, what it really means, will it affect performance?... etc... etc...

In addition, with the speed limiter removed and rev limiter increased wheel speeds in 5th were going 170+. As unlikely as it was that a tire would blow out from that wheel speed we decided safety first and did our testing in 4th to keep the wheel speeds safer.

The attached dyno sheet is from pulls done on the same day, on the same dyno, on the same car, all in 4th gear on a manual transmission 2011 5.0 with 3.31 gears. This is the culmunation of over 8 months worth or work both here and with Ford right in Dearborn on pre-production cars. The numbers shown are the result of the cold air and custom tuning. Like our 05-2010 Cold air kits a custom tune/cold air package will be required for these gains.

Peak gains are 44.04 horsepower and 52.84 ft/lbs of torque, with even higher point to point gains. The highlighted point at 5500 shows a gain of 59.83 horsepower and 59.19 ft.lbs of torque. These gains are on 93 octane fuel. The baseline number was on a completely stock car with 87 octane fuel as delivered from Ford.

Any questions and comments are welcome.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 06-11-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

That's great. I'm a big fan of my Steeda CAI for my 06 and I would have no hesitation about getting one for a 5.0.

I'm also glad to see your intake still includes the sound tube.

The after numbers, this includes a tune right? I'm pretty sure it would. I'm curious how much the CAI adds alone minus the tune's gains.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Yes, these numbers included a tune. A tune will be required with it. The car will not see any gains or even run correctly without the tuning.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

That's crazy power from tune and intake!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Paul1588
1st Gear Member

looks like u lost a hell of a lot of down lower power, i think better tuning is in order,peak numbers are nice and all but not at the sacrifice of 100hp at 3000rpms

or maybe im just reading this graph wrong
Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paul1588
looks like u lost a hell of a lot of down lower power, i think better tuning is in order,peak numbers are nice and all but not at the sacrifice of 100hp at 3000rpms

or maybe im just reading this graph wrong
It makes more power and more torque in every RPM range...
Old 06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Paul1588
1st Gear Member

arent the dark red and blue lines the steeda tune and the lighter lines are stock?

Quick Reply: Steeda 2011 5.0 testing baseline