Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Anybody else feel that

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:30 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i want the brain cells i wasted reading this back
Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

This thread makes me feel dumber. You are a pedantic dick. I can't believe I read this...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
This thread makes me feel dumber. You are a pedantic dick. I can't believe I read this...
The ironic thing about your statement hawkeye, is without pedant type people pretty much everything in life you use would not exist, and considering you are in the military, could you imagine what it would be like if the military was not run by and organized by pedant type people and rigid organization they demand and the precise requirements of the equipment the military requires.
So don't be a dick yourself with comments like you made.
Cause without those pedant types you WOULD be dumber and so would pretty much every person and everything in this world that's worth anything.
If you don't like the thread, don't read it, but those who complain about it more than likely was doing nothing of any importance in their life at the time anyway, so consider it a favor the thread gave you something to do.

Lastly, try practicing the old saying, if you have nothing good to say....
because otherwise your comments are worth and contribuing FAR less than the thread you are belittling itself.

Last edited by Driver72; 06-17-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Driver72 your use of the word "pedant's" is not entirely correct. While it is, indeed, an actual word, your usage of it in this instance is neither possessive (belonging to a pedant) nor is it a contraction (pedant is). Now, realize I'm just playing the Devil's advocate here, but your usage of the English language is not entirely accurate. While it might not bother some people to walk into a store and get extra apostrophes thrown into the middle of words, I know I prefer not having them mucking up my bottle of Dr Pepper, for instance.

I'm just sayin'.

All that said, the new 5.0 IS a 5.0. Our engine displacements are rounded to the nearest appropriate unit. When using CID, we round to whole numbers, when using Liters we (generally) round to the tenth. (Certain luxury marques use slightly different standards as a matter of tradition.) That said since the new motor rounds (using the standard mathematical rules for rounding) to 5.0, it's a 5.0. Previously, this designation was given to a motor that SHOULD have been designated a 4.9 in order to distinguish it from a contemporary inline 6 motor of 4.9L displacement. People have been kvetching about that 5.0 (a refreshed 302, basically) not really being a 5.0 for 20+ years now. So Ford decided (tradition firmly in hand) that they could make use of the storied 5.0 moniker AND keep the traditional (since 68, anyway) 302CID AND do it all without any sort of misrepresentation. Good on them.

Oh, and if my Dr Pepper was filled to 1.51L, I'd expect it to be marked as 1.5L If, however, it was filled to 1.951L, I'd be totally okay with it be marked as 2.0L.

Last edited by Kotobuki; 06-17-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
Driver72 your use of the word "pedant's" is not entirely correct. While it is, indeed, an actual word, your usage of it in this instance is neither possessive (belonging to a pedant) nor is it a contraction (pedant is). Now, realize I'm just playing the Devil's advocate here, but your usage of the English language is not entirely accurate. While it might not bother some people to walk into a store and get extra apostrophes thrown into the middle of words, I know I prefer not having them mucking up my bottle of Dr Pepper, for instance.

I'm just sayin'.

You are correct....corrected.
And see I didn't jump all over you like flies on s--t over factual corrections, or say, "oh what a waste of brain cells" for being so technical.

All that said, the new 5.0 IS a 5.0.
Actually it is not, but yes it solely by our acceptance of rounding units as you state below.
Also as you state below and as I stated about the Dr. Pepper, yes 1.51L would technically be 1.5 but it would suck and be wrong IF they called it 2.0 and we got 1.51
But again, I agree, and of course they would not call it a 4.95 L, so 5.0 IS the appropriate designation to round to.
But as I stated, and the reason for my post was that in two separate magazine articles they stated, "it's finally a true" or "it's now a real" 5.0 liter, when in fact, it's not, but only called that by our accepted rounding designation.

Our engine displacements are rounded to the nearest appropriate unit. When using CID, we round to whole numbers, when using Liters we (generally) round to the tenth. (Certain luxury marques use slightly different standards as a matter of tradition.) That said since the new motor rounds (using the standard mathematical rules for rounding) to 5.0, it's a 5.0. Previously, this designation was given to a motor that SHOULD have been designated a 4.9 in order to distinguish it from a contemporary inline 6 motor of 4.9L displacement. People have been kvetching about that 5.0 (a refreshed 302, basically) not really being a 5.0 for 20+ years now. So Ford decided (tradition firmly in hand) that they could make use of the storied 5.0 moniker AND keep the traditional (since 68, anyway) 302CID AND do it all without any sort of misrepresentation. Good on them.

Oh, and if my Dr Pepper was filled to 1.51L, I'd expect it to be marked as 1.5L If, however, it was filled to 1.951L, I'd be totally okay with it be marked as 2.0L.

Now again since I was just "venting" technical accuracy but some people seem to have gotten their panties in a wad over less important stuff, like this thread, the points were made, let's move on.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Solid_Axle

Originally Posted by Driver72
Actually it is not, but yes it solely by our acceptance of rounding units as you state below.
Also as you state below and as I stated about the Dr. Pepper, yes 1.51L would technically be 1.5 but it would suck and be wrong IF they called it 2.0 and we got 1.51
But again, I agree, and of course they would not call it a 4.95 L, so 5.0 IS the appropriate designation to round to.
This paragraph sums up this entire thread; totally nonsensical.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 PM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

So you made a thread to make a thread. This is what I have come to understand. That OR you are bent over backwards by design decisions that are perceived to revolve around a misconception. A misconception that resulted in 4.95 Liters as you have made known to us nine times already. I understood this technical detail the first time and I immediately *shrugged* and accepted the fact. I'm sure Ford had plenty of reasons for the size of the coyote's bore and stroke, and I'm sure they didn't limit themselves to creating an engine that had to be a "true" 5.0L.

I feel that you made this thread to trigger a response that included "it IS a 5.0", simply so you could refute it. I FEEL that this thread is the reason why we can't have nice things.

Oh... and I'm just saying >:P