Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Turning Traction OFF disables 1-4 shift!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 PM
SandMan123
1st Gear Member

Default Turning Traction OFF disables 1-4 shift!!

So I found out tonight that turning off the traction control on the 2011 GT also disables the 1st-4th skip shift assistance. It was really annoying b/c going from 1st to 2nd feels lumpy and forced, but when I turn off the TCS it feels nice and crisp. You still get the message but the actual physical intervention is gone. I guess I'll be doing a lot more donuts and drifting around more turns now.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

more donuts and drifting is always a good thing
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
kawasakiguy
2nd Gear Member

Now that's a nice little added feature.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Nothing like a fat burnout to remind everyone what a badass you are
Old 07-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SandMan123
You still get the message but the actual physical intervention is gone.
What sort of message?

Norm
Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Frikkin Skip Shift has no place on a Mustang anyway FFS. What were the douches thinking ?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:14 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

It only engages if you shift UNDER 2K RPM anyway, which is quite low. Shift over 2K and there will be no problem. I'd never shift under 2K. My auto waits for at least 2.5.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:02 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
What sort of message?

Norm
Something like "Skip shift on for fuel econ." Flashes so quickly, don't have time to read it. Usually just a flash out of the corner of my eye on the tachometer message centre. Actually, it's very benign on the Mustang compared to my earlier Camaros. If you're dawdling away from the light and it guides you into 4th, then you were not in a hurry anyway. The Camaros would lock you out of 2nd and leave you groping around in neutral trying to find fourth gear. By the time you found it, the skip-shift feature would have disappeared anyway and you would then select 2nd. Meanwhile, you would have people all over your rear bumper! Real bummer. People used that resister by-pass thingy to get rid of it. Not really bothersome on the 5.0.

SandMan123:

I would not get in the habit of arbitrarily turning the T/C off (except at the track) as some day you may need it and it won't be there to save your bacon. I read somewhere that some bozos actually connect it up backward so it's not on during start and has to be selected on with the switch at the driver's whim. Bad idea.

Also, for the track only I hope, holding the T/C button down for 5 seconds with the brake on disables the T/C (light on the speedometer) and the stability system (message on the tach).

Cheers.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
I would not get in the habit of arbitrarily turning the T/C off (except at the track) as some day you may need it and it won't be there to save your bacon. I read somewhere that some bozos actually connect it up backward so it's not on during start and has to be selected on with the switch at the driver's whim. Bad idea.
You know, waaaaaaaay back in a time and age long, long ago, there were cars without traction control. I know, difficult to believe. And, based on the fact that we're still here, somehow humans managed to not slaughter themselves in this long-ago history without traction control. This, unfortunately, meant that you had to know how to drive the ****in' car. Insane, right!? I know. Incomprehensible. Inconceivable!

tl;dr if you can't drive a car without TC on, maybe you shouldn't be driving a car.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt

I have never used the TC...I don't like the way it changes the car...Also, most (if not all) FI guys (hopefully me soon as well) HAVE to turn it off...Just FYI

Quick Reply: Turning Traction OFF disables 1-4 shift!!