Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

UPDATE: muscle mustang 5.0L Dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 PM
60Bubba

Here is a Master's level dissertation about the new Coyote 5.0--it also discusses those new headers at length. They were built in somebody's garage. Who says homebuilt can't beat the facotry?

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ine/index.html
Old 07-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 60Bubba
Here is a Master's level dissertation about the new Coyote 5.0--it also discusses those new headers at length. They were built in somebody's garage. Who says homebuilt can't beat the facotry?

They look like they were made in a garage too!! lol
"for factory" they aren't bad, but they are mass produced and aftermarket will always be in demand!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 PM
kawasakiguy
2nd Gear Member

SOB that's a bigger gain than I thought it would be.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:16 PM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

Those numbers are hard to believe, but sure do get me excited. I also am contemplating if I should go FI in the future. If bolt-ons and a quality tune is all I need to get 500bhp then I wont have to worry if FI will be reliable for daily driving.

Also that tech article is awesome, finally some good information about the coyote.

Last edited by cjs06; 07-09-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

... They were built in somebody's garage. ...

They weren't built in just "somebody's" garage. They were built by one of the Ford exhaust engineers in his home shop. Pretty sure it's a bit more than just a run-of-the-mill garage, especially if he actually has welding and pipe bending equipment.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:40 PM
wantgt
1st Gear Member

Ahh must be nice to live in a state where you can do all that cool stuff.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 AM
60Bubba

Originally Posted by GT Premi
They weren't built in just "somebody's" garage. They were built by one of the Ford exhaust engineers in his home shop. Pretty sure it's a bit more than just a run-of-the-mill garage, especially if he actually has welding and pipe bending equipment.
Wow, I was simply trying to enlighten the poster that thought the new Mustang had cast iron manifolds. I thought this was a pretty interesting article. I guess I should refrain from sharing in the future.

My point was simply that true enthusiasts with a goal of serious power from a reliable engine put a lot of effort into this powertrain.

If it weren't for guys like this, the bean counters would be ensuring that all new cars were about as exciting as a Camry hybrid. They have their place, but I at least want the option of a howling muscle car in the driveway beside it.

And yes, those headers might not be the most beautiful, but they are a heck of a lot better than the average cast iron manifold. If I didn't live in CA, where long tube headers complicate emissions testing a bit if they aren't CARB approved, I might go that route. For now, factory headers will have to suffice.

60Bubba
Old 07-11-2010, 08:40 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

I wasn't trying to offend. I was just making it more clear so that people didn't think some random joe stepped in to help out the factory. Not everyone that read these fora are Mustang fans. A lot of people like to camp out in a "rival" forum just to look for cannon fodder to report back to his home base. That's how bad rumors get started.

My apologies.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:13 PM
60Bubba

Originally Posted by GT Premi
I wasn't trying to offend. I was just making it more clear so that people didn't think some random joe stepped in to help out the factory. Not everyone that read these fora are Mustang fans. A lot of people like to camp out in a "rival" forum just to look for cannon fodder to report back to his home base. That's how bad rumors get started.

My apologies.

In that case, let me help. I heard that Camaros and Challengers were built by commies using slave labor.

Seriously, your point is well taken. I was probably a bit defensive since that was only my third post on this forum. There does seem to be a more aggressive element here than on the Factory Five forum I usually hang out on.

Back to the original point of this thread, does anyone know if long tube headers are considered street legal if they include cats? I won't do it right away, but the Stainless Works headers (and a few others) are works of art. I'd like to get some if the Emissions Police don't try to get me in here in Kalifornistan for having illegal headers.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:55 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

Back to the original point of this thread, does anyone know if long tube headers are considered street legal if they include cats? I won't do it right away, but the Stainless Works headers (and a few others) are works of art. I'd like to get some if the Emissions Police don't try to get me in here in Kalifornistan for having illegal headers.
+1 lol

Quick Reply: UPDATE: muscle mustang 5.0L Dyno numbers