Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Where's the obvious stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Cardm31

Default Where's the obvious stuff?

The 2011 Mustang sure does have a lot of cool technology, some of which was unexpected but, does anyone else besides me wonder why Ford is choosing to leave out features that I think should be 'no brainers' for the standard equipment list?
1. Built-in Homelink transmitter
2. Cancel button for the cruise control

I know for some guys these features might not be important but, these are features I use just about every time I drive. I've got to open and close the garage door and since I have a long interstate commute, I like to use the cruise control but, there's almost always a reason to cancel and then resume a set speed.

Obviously the absence of these features isn't a deal breaker but, when you consider a GT Premium with the most popular options is going to approach $40K, these are features you'd think would be included for forty large and these aren't even available as accessories.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:26 AM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

Not to be a smart*** but wouldn't the brake be considered the cancel... pedal, works the same :P. As for the garage door opener, I'd imagine the garage door would open out of sheer fear of the epicness that enters its abode... I've yet to test this theory though
Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 AM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cjs06
Not to be a smart*** but wouldn't the brake be considered the cancel... pedal, works the same :P. As for the garage door opener, I'd imagine the garage door would open out of sheer fear of the epicness that enters its abode... I've yet to test this theory though
Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM
2011CS
1st Gear Member

Homelink yes, brake pedal for the win on cruise.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 PM
2011CS/GT
2nd Gear Member

How about power for the back of the seat adjustment. I can't seem to get mine where I am extremely comfortable. I either feel like I am kind of upright or kind of laying down. This is the first car I have seen in a long time that still has manual (handle) seat back adjustment. Keep in mind I go through cars like crazy.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Cardm31

Default Easily amused are we?

Watch it cjs06, you're cracking yourself up and it looks like it doesn't take much to amuse SpartaPerformance either.
How about quit making excuses for Ford leaving these features out? I may be spoiled because the last 4 cars I bought have had both of these features in all of them? The map light module is rather large for it's purpose, it could easily house a few Homelink buttons and the transmitter. Most manufacturers have a cancel button with the cruise controls, Ford is one of the very few holdouts on this. Btw, all manufacturers have the cancel on brake feature too.
Now you've gone and made me almost make a big deal out of it. I was just asking why Ford not only left these features out but, has made it so you can't install it (Homelink) as an accessory? They offer an Auto-dim rear view mirror with Homelink but, it says "Not for use with SYNC".
I guess I'm in the extreme minority on this stuff?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

If you wanted a car with homelink why didn't you buy one with homelink? Thats what seems like a no brainer to me if it's that important to you.

As far as a cancel button...Like already pointed out^^ is pretty pointless. Are you seriously too lazy to tap the brake? Just because you have cruise control doesn't mean your feet should be away from the pedals.

Or to open and close your garage door with a push of a button? Ohz Noez! The way you talk...You make it seem like a daunting task...
Old 07-14-2010, 12:44 AM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

Whoa, sorry if you took it the wrong way. For one I didn't make any excuses for why the new stang doesn't have those two features and no one said you were spoiled except you. I wasn't trying to judge ya. I simply was trying to make it a light hearted subject :P

If this is a serious subject for you and I believe you to be upset about these missing features, then I guess the best thing to do is weigh the good and bad. I hope there is more good to be found in the new mustang that it would put those two missing features in perspective.

Oh and the internet is a playground, so have fun.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

For me, the less electronic and computer controlled things in a car the better!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

The car definitely should come with homelink. But you can do it yourself for cheap if you want it. Fits in the OH maplight console with a little bit of fiddling. I did mine for $18, cheaper than a clip-on universal remote.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...tallation.html

Quick Reply: Where's the obvious stuff?