Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CS or GT Handling vs Brembo

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
There is no doubt that the stickier tires will help with cornering and braking. That is the cheapest handling add on you can do. My question was if the same or equally stickiy tires would enable the GT to handle as well as the Brembo equipted car. Perhaps there are tires that will handle better then the P's that come with the Brembo package. Maybe Michelin Sport Pilots would be a great alternative however, when you consider the package and price of the Brembo car, it becomes a bargain. My concern was wanting a spare and trying to equal the performance of the Brembo car and having a spare as well.
Chuck please understand a lot of that is unconfirmed, Just things that have been printed in various press releases and articles. I dont have a Brembo Car so I cant look to see whats correct and what isnt.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by orgchem
I'm also wondering the same thing. Because I will be getting the auto, and need to go as cheap as possible, I'm thinking about getting the dealer to put the Brembo-brake package wheels on my car. They said they could. My main reasoning is that the wider and stickier tires will help with cornering/traction. Also, I think wider tires look good on the Mustang . But I don't want to spend the money if it doesn't actually translate into better performance...
How much would the dealer charge? You can get shelby 2009 and earlier T/O wheels and tires for about $1000. Wider summer performance F1 tires and 9 and 1/2 inch wheels. Give you better looks and handling and can fit Brembos later if you like.

Cheers.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:04 AM
orgchem

I haven't asked yet; what would be a reasonable price for those wheels? The only reason I was leaning towards that is because I like the look of stock wheels . But not for a ridiculous price.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Old Chuck

Would love to see and compros on any non Brembo car set ups. It seems the mags like the Brembo set ups. In the June Car and Driver the V-6 with the handling pack had the same skid pad and braking numbers as the Brembo however, it did not do as well in the lane change and handling course. As a matter of fact, they said it got squirrely and took out the cones. Wondering if this was just the V-6 set up or would the non Brembo car have handling issues when pushed to the limit? More tests with the non Brembo would set this question to rest. If anyone knows of any tests in magazines or with owners it would be of great interest. I know the 5.0 is new but hopefully in the new few months we will see more set ups and know more of what each suspension will be capable of.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

What it comes down too is if you want the top of the line handling, braking, steering feel, suspension calibration, tires, wheels, etc you can get from the factory on the 2011 GT, order the Brembo brake package.
It's cheap considering all you KNOW you get and all the other extra stuff you may (and what I suspect a few months ago) get with it.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Old Chuck

From all that has been written, I do agree that the Brembo will handle better. Not sure if it is the tires or all the components working together however, it does appear to be the best way to guarantee getting the best handling stock 2011 Mustang. Would love to see a compro between a GT with sticky tires and say Koni's and springs just to see if one can duplicate or better the handling of the Brembo. I would bet that it is not long before we see some folks put aftermarket tires, shocks and springs on the GT. Would be interesting to find out what can be done with the 5.0...
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Seems odd to me this discussion. There is maybe a 10% difference in one factory street setup to another. When you start putting in aftermarket parts you're looking at 20 to 100% difference in handling. I guess that is why I buy the base car and add when I want after wards.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Old Chuck

Default 908ssp

That is why I said that it will be interesting to see who folks do with aftermarket shocks, springs etc. Many do not want to go through the trouble to mod and buy the best handling out of the box and that seems to be the Brembo option. For those who do, it may take some time to find out what parts do the best with this car but my hunch is that if someone gets the base GT with 18 or 19's that it will handle like the 2010 as there is no real difference in the chassis. I would bet that with Koni's, springs and different bars combined with sticky tires and you have a car that would out handle the Brembo.