Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Bolt on Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:46 PM
2011CS/GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Bolt on Exhaust Question

Any of you done the bolt on exhaust system yourself? It looks really easy when looking at the pictures. I do not have the ability to raise or lift the car. Can they be done by simply sliding under the car? My mechanic skills are very minimal so just want to make sure it is as easy as it looks.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

If you're doing axle back alone, you won't even need to jack it up, and you can just slide underneath -- at least that's what I did when I installed the muffler delete (later removed and the stock mufflers reinstalled).

If you go cat-back or H-back, you will need to get it high on jack stands, in all likelihood.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM
2011CS/GT
2nd Gear Member

Sorry about that. Only planning to do the axle backs for now. Been eyeing the Flowmasters, but can't find any sound clips of them actually on a 2011. Is it really as simple as un-bolting the old ones and sliding them off....sliding the new ones on and re-bolting?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Almost that simple. The clamps are spot-welded on the stock mufflers, so you'll need to cut them off to reuse. Heavy duty shears or a drummel tool will make short work of it once the stock mufflers are off the car.

Even if you take your time, the entire project is only a 1 hour job.

Last edited by cidsamuth; 08-09-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

I just grabbed the clamps and rocked them back and forth until they snapped off. Generally speaking, it won't get you the absolutely cleanest cut as could be acheived with shears, but it definitely did the trick in a pinch
Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
kev152
1st Gear Member

I have a couple quick questions about exhaust systems, hopefully someone can help me out or point me in the right direction.

What exactly is the difference in performance between a Cat-back system and an axle back system. I'm assuming a cat-back will give you more sound and slightly better performance, while axle back will just give you the sound. Is it that simple?

Also, if one or both of them do increase performance...do you really need a custom tune to take advantage of it? (similar to an intake needing a tune to really get the most out of it?)

Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 11:02 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
Almost that simple. The clamps are spot-welded on the stock mufflers, so you'll need to cut them off to reuse. Heavy duty shears or a drummel tool will make short work of it once the stock mufflers are off the car.

Even if you take your time, the entire project is only a 1 hour job.
Don't most axle-backs come with clamps? Do you need to reuse the ones on the stock exhaust? I installed several different axle backs on my 07 and didn't have to do this. Just making sure I understand. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 AM
RAMAIR

Originally Posted by 2011CS/GT
Sorry about that. Only planning to do the axle backs for now. Been eyeing the Flowmasters, but can't find any sound clips of them actually on a 2011. Is it really as simple as un-bolting the old ones and sliding them off....sliding the new ones on and re-bolting?
Here is just one of the many videos on youtube that give you a good idea what the flowmaster axle back sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBfaIAf49ic
Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kev152
I have a couple quick questions about exhaust systems, hopefully someone can help me out or point me in the right direction.

What exactly is the difference in performance between a Cat-back system and an axle back system. I'm assuming a cat-back will give you more sound and slightly better performance, while axle back will just give you the sound. Is it that simple?

Also, if one or both of them do increase performance...do you really need a custom tune to take advantage of it? (similar to an intake needing a tune to really get the most out of it?)

Thanks
Kev,

If the "cat-back" eliminates or changes out the cats, then yes you will get better performance, but you will also need a tune to avoid a check engine light -- while the tune will give you better performance on its own, I don't think you actually need a tune to get the most out of the cat-back. Clear as mud?

Axle-back systems, despite the claims, produce no real hp gain. You might get a few hp out of a muffler delete, but it won't be much. It's about sound only.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
Don't most axle-backs come with clamps? Do you need to reuse the ones on the stock exhaust? I installed several different axle backs on my 07 and didn't have to do this. Just making sure I understand. Thanks.
Some have their own clamps, others you reuse the stock clamps.

Quick Reply: Bolt on Exhaust Question